DIY Stand - Mr. Aqua 22Gallon/6Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
DIY Stand - Mr. Aqua 22Gallon/6Gallon

Dimension: 36" x 12" x 36"

it was built for the mr. aqua 12g long, but then they announced the newest 22g long. so i sold the 12g and upgraded to 22g, which is so perfect to the stand.

Finished:

Progress:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kimchilee; 04-19-2015 at 05:56 PM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

maybe i should add more corner braces, to make sure it holds the weight of 6 gallon tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kimchilee; 03-06-2015 at 08:19 PM. Reason: edit
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Looks great. Im always a fan of these kind of builds

Best,
Nate

Journals:

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
How thick is the board you're using for the 6 gallon shelf?

I don't think you need a center brace. It wouldn't hurt, but 6 gallons doesn't weigh a lot.

DIY Enthusiast

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 10:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'd be a little wary...

The way it looks in the photos, All of the weight of the tank is going to be supported by 8 screws. It would be better if you had the uprights stacked between the top and bottom rims, or if you put a sheet of plywood across the entire top surface of the tank.

As to the shelf... You might be able to work with that, as 6 gallons isn't that much, but I'd feel a lot better if it was directly supported. You could easily make some 2x4 legs long enough to sit under the shelf and support it, and then just screw/glue them onto the sides of the existing leg.

I feel that screws should only be used to clamp pieces together for gluing, or to help make assembly easier, they really shouldn't be load-bearing.

A good, solid stand design should have direct aquarium-wood-wood-floor stacking, and you should be able to hold the stand together with masking tape. If masking tape won't hold the structural elements together, it's putting too much stress on the fasteners.

It looks like you've got pretty good fit, and everything measured out well, so if you made a couple minor adjustments/additions, you could easily have a bomb-proof stand.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had assumed there were pieces of 2x4 under each end of the shelf going between the main uprights. If the shelf is just directly screwed to the uprights... I'd be weary about that.

DIY Enthusiast

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 12:00 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Nice build!
The screws, if you used #10 or larger have a lot of shear strength and will probably have no problem holding your 12 gallon tank.

If you want to feel just a little more confident about it put one 1/4" or 5'16" carriage bolt through each corner joint. Or for a more aesthetic approach use a 2 1/2" lag bolt from the inside at each corner joint.

Even though it might not be necessary, a little overkill will give you some piece of mind and probably cost less than $5.

-
-

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebuchholz View Post
Looks great. Im always a fan of these kind of builds
thank you! i enjoy the whole process building this stand!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55 View Post
How thick is the board you're using for the 6 gallon shelf?

I don't think you need a center brace. It wouldn't hurt, but 6 gallons doesn't weigh a lot.
i'm not sure how thick, maybe like 3/4 in...

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
I'd be a little wary...

The way it looks in the photos, All of the weight of the tank is going to be supported by 8 screws. It would be better if you had the uprights stacked between the top and bottom rims, or if you put a sheet of plywood across the entire top surface of the tank.

As to the shelf... You might be able to work with that, as 6 gallons isn't that much, but I'd feel a lot better if it was directly supported. You could easily make some 2x4 legs long enough to sit under the shelf and support it, and then just screw/glue them onto the sides of the existing leg.

I feel that screws should only be used to clamp pieces together for gluing, or to help make assembly easier, they really shouldn't be load-bearing.

A good, solid stand design should have direct aquarium-wood-wood-floor stacking, and you should be able to hold the stand together with masking tape. If masking tape won't hold the structural elements together, it's putting too much stress on the fasteners.

It looks like you've got pretty good fit, and everything measured out well, so if you made a couple minor adjustments/additions, you could easily have a bomb-proof stand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55 View Post
I had assumed there were pieces of 2x4 under each end of the shelf going between the main uprights. If the shelf is just directly screwed to the uprights... I'd be weary about that.
thanks for pointing it out! probably going to homedepot again this weekend.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDean View Post
Nice build!
The screws, if you used #10 or larger have a lot of shear strength and will probably have no problem holding your 12 gallon tank.

If you want to feel just a little more confident about it put one 1/4" or 5'16" carriage bolt through each corner joint. Or for a more aesthetic approach use a 2 1/2" lag bolt from the inside at each corner joint.

Even though it might not be necessary, a little overkill will give you some piece of mind and probably cost less than $5.
i think the screws are good enough to hold the 12 gallon tank, but i will do some adjustments/additions for the shelf.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

so i think this is it.

Last edited by kimchilee; 04-15-2015 at 02:34 PM. Reason: update
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
For all that I'd have used 3/4" plywood. Would be a lighter stand with the same, or more strength when done correctly. Plus it would have looked better with more room on the shelves. And would have looked great with a decent stain then poly coat.

You could also use 1x4 glued and screwed at a right angle that would have given a lighter look and less of an odd cut in the middle shelf. (Actually I would have just glued the 1x4s together with a tongue and dado joint to prevent warp and twist.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
For all that I'd have used 3/4" plywood. Would be a lighter stand with the same, or more strength when done correctly. Plus it would have looked better with more room on the shelves. And would have looked great with a decent stain then poly coat.

You could also use 1x4 glued and screwed at a right angle that would have given a lighter look and less of an odd cut in the middle shelf. (Actually I would have just glued the 1x4s together with a tongue and dado joint to prevent warp and twist.
awesome advice, thanks!

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

after i built this stand, i found that the dimension of this stand is just perfect for mr. aqua 22 gallon long, so... you all know what i'm gonna do...

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 03:12 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchilee View Post
after i built this stand, i found that the dimension of this stand is just perfect for mr. aqua 22 gallon long, so... you all know what i'm gonna do...
12 gal long hanging over the edge like that is iffy to me.. 22 gallons... I wouldn't.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode