I NEED your feedback on the plausibility of this project!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I NEED your feedback on the plausibility of this project!!!

Ok, heres my idea, and I know its going to sound crazy, but I've been thinking about it for awhile and I really think its doable... what if person took Multiple small tanks, like 10 gallon tanks, cut perfect holes in them(maybe 2-4 inches?), and connected the tanks with clear Plastic tubing of some sort, preferably something strong but semi flexible, and of course sealed so it was water tight... Im sure something like this would work better with Acrylic and some sortve acrylic tube since it would probably seal better... But I think as long as the tanks where on a nice sturdy stand that was perfectly flat and didnt move, it would work...and maybe be an interesting use for all those 10 gallons laying around,lol...

The many benefits are rather obvious as well... what also would be interesting is you could create different environments within each tank, one tank could be pretty much all rock and dark sand, another could be HEAVILY planted, a third could be a mix, lots of rocks and plants, a 4th could be mostly open... that way the different fish or other creatures in your tank could choose the environment they prefer... I know there are certain possible drawbacks, like if algae got into the tubes, it would be really annoying to clean, although only if the tubes where rather long, if they where only maybe 2-6 inches it shouldnt be a problem... Also you could just go with all one theme, lots of rocks and plants, and youd be offering a better separated territory for different cichlids, but they would still be able to interact...

So, what are your thoughts my new friends? and what would be your advice for anybody thinking about doing such a thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

WOH! just had another idea for it! (bear with me, im not an expert on this stuff, so if I sound stupid, correct me with the correct terminology since youl probably understand what I mean,lol)

What if you could build some sortve bulk head, or gasket, or whatever... over the holes in each tank, basically something that you could slide the tube into or over on each side that would be quite permanently attached to the tank, then the tube would slide into it creating as water tight of a seal as possible, people could customize the lengths of the tubes however they wanted, then to make extra sure it was watertight could then put some silicone on there to seal it... then later if they wanted to tear it down it would be much easier to do without the chance of possibly breaking your tanks, you just strip the silicon on the tube, and pull the tubing out and your good to go... Kinda like those little ant farms that allowed you to attach to other ant farms with tube, you could mix and match different types and sizes... same general idea, only in this case id probably only do it with 10 gallons, in even numbers, or if you wanted to get more showy,maybe a display with 2 10 gallons behind and 1 in the front in the form of a triangle, or maybe a 20g long in front...
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Interesting concept. Now you have me thinking and wondering what if? LOL

Tim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the comment! I know though! wouldnt it be awesome to be able to make so many different varieties of aquascapes within technically the same tank? plants you love but dont quite fit with some others, you could then base a whole section around! not to mention it would be pretty damn cheap to build this, allot cheaper than buying a tank with similar amount of water flowing through it...a person could even use nylon mesh to keep one tank cordoned off from the inhabitants of the other sections, and use a single really strong filter system that really kicks the water out good towards one exit, and have the intake pulling water from the other entrance... well theres just a whole lot of things you could do with such a set up...
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
When I was running salt water aquariums, I owned a 55 gallon acrylic that had two sides with tubes running between them on the top and the bottom. It was very facinating to watch the fish go thru the tubes.

It looked sort of like this one. It was a very cool aquarium. I would love to have another. http://www.aquariumsdirect.com/aquar...beaquarium.cfm
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I would think you would need a good filter, and then some power heads in the other tanks to make sure water moves in between the tanks. But you are right about having the semi different biotopes. The one thing that should stay constant throughout is the water conditions. But as far as having just rocks and drift wood in one, and maybe a low light plant tank, and then a med light tank with lots of stem plants in it. And you could put different kinds of fish in and see if they would move from the tank you put them in into the others and then see if they decided to stay in one tank over the others. It could definetly turn into a intersting experiment.

Tim

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Is your purpose just to have the fish pass through?

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
I think the biggest problem you'd have is finding a 10 gallon tank that isn't tempered. I could be wrong, but I think all sides of the tank are tempered, which means you can't drill them. It may just be the bottom pane though.

The idea with the bulkhead would work, but wouldn't be very pretty. That's about all the help I can give you there

Each tank would need it's own filter, just a simple HOB filter would work though.

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

well yeah, I was thinking though maybe putting a sponge filter in the outlying tanks, then a really heavy duty filter in a tank with fish that like ALLOT of current with the current directed towards the outlet to the next tank, and the intake pulling from the other outlet on the opposite side, and nylon netting to keep any fish from coming into the fast tank, or something like that... with maybe a power head in the middle tank (in a 4 tank set up) that makes sure the water keeps flowing well to the 3rd tank, so that in turn can be pulled once again back into the heavier current tank, so the water in your tanks would constantly be circulating amongst all of them... just an idea... also if the set up in your heavy current tank happens to be strong enough, you may not actually have to put a power head in any of the other tanks, if the intake sucks water in fast enough, while the out bound water comes out fast enough, the water should keep circulating rather well with the tank in the middle being the slowest but being perfect for plants and fish that prefer very little if any current...

Also, to gmccreedy, yeah, thats the general idea, to make the fish be able to travel through multiple tanks as they wish...

To badgers, no 10 gallon ive ever had my hands on was made from tempered glass, not even the bottom, then again ive only had ahold of cheap wal-mart ones, $10 brand new,lol... but yeah tempered glass is supposed to break away in small pieces, ive had these tanks break on me, and believe me, the shards where large and dangerous...
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Oh, almost forgot, one benefit as well for linking multiple tanks together, is that the tanks environment would be FAR more stable now than just a single 10 gallons is, And also, I really dont think the bulkheads would look ugly, at least to me they dont...sure, their not beautiful, but I dunno, I kinda like them,lol...I think it could be done without the bulk heads though, it would be much cheaper, but maybe not quite as safe for your floor if your not a fan of water damage... BUT if you had the tubes near the top of the tanks, then if there was a problem, it wouldnt be nearly as bad, only a few gallons or so instead of the entire contents of the tank...lol...
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
a habitrail for fish?

John

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to suebe333
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

or here:
http://www.geekologie.com/2008/02/fi..._habitrail.php

and this:

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
That's a fantastic idea!!! I'd bet the fish would love it. What about shrimp? Does anyone think that they would wander around it also??
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to suebe333

and this:
[/quote]
where is this at ???

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode