DIY C02 not working???? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
DIY C02 not working????

hi everyone! I make a DIY c02 yesterday and it was bubbling( so it alive). But after about 14 hours it has been set up and i still don't see any c02 in my tank.

The tank is a 10 gallon

DIYC02 : airline tube, 2liter bottle, check valve, and air stone(diffuser).

My recipe was: about 1 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of yeast, mixed with warm water.

Well thanks for the help

FISH, SHRIMPS, AND PLANTS RULE!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Click below
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
There may not be enough pressure for a air stone.If you have a canister filter hook it to the intake line.There may be a bad seal with the airline also
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

hey dave i don't have a canister filter and the airline seems good

thanks though

Click below

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Most likely a leak. I would recommend you do the following:
  • fill sink with water
  • hook up air pump to CO2 outlet airline hose (the end you normally put in the tank)
  • put CO2 container in the sink full of water
  • turn on pump
Leaks will be obvious. If you don't want to take things this far, then at least put a few drops of water on the bottle cap where the airline enters. You'll see bubbles if it leaks. However, you will not catch leaks caused by the bottle cap not forming a seal when threading onto the bottle.
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi cjp i dont have an air pump and tried the leak method and i dont see any bubbles. Also when i shake the bottle it fizzes.

Thanks anyways

Click below

post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Also am i supposed to here fizzes and seems like air in coming out of the cap i think its not glued on strong enough but not sure....

Click below

post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Just take a soda bottle and drill a hole in the top for a small piece of air hose like you did for your yeast bottle and put some water and liquid detergent in it. Mix it up. Let this soap solution dribble over your battles, hose, and fitting. It will bubble if there is a leak. Just don't let the soap get into your tanks. Your air stone needs to be a new one because they clog easy.
Joe

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok ill try that later and yeah its a new airstone i just got

Click below

post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to airborne_r6
By airstone do you mean the standard airstones at the pet store and how are you registering the lack of CO2 in the tank?

[/off-rant]
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yeah the ones you get at the petstores(standard). what do you mean by registerin the lack of c02 in the tank?

thanks

Click below

post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to airborne_r6
You said you dont see any CO2 in your tank do you mean its not bubbling out of the airstone.

A regular airstone wont diffuse the CO2 very well, I tried using one once when my wooden one went bad and it just released large bubbles that quickly rose to the surface without diffusing into the water at all. I use these airstones: http://www.petco.com/product/9488/Re...LAID=201373983

[/off-rant]
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yeah its not bubbling out of the airstone do you know why?

thanks again

Click below

post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Still sounds like you have a leak. My first attempt leaked where the hose went through the bottle top.
Joe

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

it doesnt seem like its a leak no water is going through

Click below

post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
How did you seal the air line to the bottle cap? And are you sure that the cap is on right and tightened

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode