Did tank repair - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Did tank repair

Right

Hello all, this maybe fair fetched but ima just roll with it

I started with a crappy plastic tank had fake plants few small fish, hen I bought a glass tank for 70 quid on ebay about 200l maybe less it's about a fore arms deep, long story short I never got it built up lol

Needed up buying an aquael 60 and put it on a chest of draws all set up and running had been for a year,

The 200l tank has a crack in bottom left corner,mix doesn't leak and is like what's cracked of hasn't even passed the silicon on inside the corner is still on and I rwckon i generous amount of silicon will sort it would that work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 09:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
Can you post a picture of the crack?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If the crack is not actually into the silicon in the corner than you can likely patch it with a piece of glass that covers the crack. Lots of silicon

But if the crack goes all the way into the corner and under the silicon the chances of a good fix are a lot less. New silicon does not stick to old very well, and this area will not stay sealed. Perhaps a month to a couple of months. To properly fix this involves stripping out the old silicon and taking the glass apart. New piece of glass to replace the cracked one, then put it back together.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I would say it's a pencil tip sized chuck that's cracked and is still there cause it is stuck by silicon lol, well hard to explain but it hasn't passed the silicon on the inside, the bit is lose, tbh I think it's defo fixable with bathroom silicon on outside, as that stuff hold porcelain sinks on the walls

My idea was to use silicon all around the outside and literally putting a big blob on the inside as a safety measure, then getting some sticky clear plastic, and sticking it real tight

Would this be enoughy, probably pictures would help?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugboykaufman View Post
Can you post a picture of the crack?
This will sound silly I thought it was a no hope so wrapped it in the Mrs leopard print sofa throw,(mad thick blanket) and put it in my shed,

I'm defo going to get it out and attempt a patch as I'm really hoping to build a cabinet for it, can't afford a new set up so its my only option

Sorry for double post

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode