Converting a dresser to tank stand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Converting a dresser to tank stand

Has anyone on here converted a dresser to a tank stand? I am considering something along these lines:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/fuo/1037905390.html

I realize that it would probably need some reinforcement, but done right somthing like that would make a beautiful stand. Anyone have any opinions on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
What size tank are you piling on top of it?

I use an old wood filing cabinet for a 10 gallon stand. If you're keeping a short (height wise) tank on it, you should be fine.

However, that is a very nice dresser. I'd hate to get water spots all over it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am thinking a 75 gallon. I realize that's a lot of weight on a dresser but surely one could reinforce it.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Oh, wow.
Isn't a 75's footprint 48" x 18" ?

Well, if you gutted the existing dresser, and carefully built a frame inside it that actually supported the weight, it could work. Basically making the exterior just a shell for cosmetics. But you'd still have an inch on each side unsupported.

I think I'd pass this up, but I'm no engineer. Just my gut reaction, and I'm a DIY kind of guy.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I realize that dresser wouldn't quite work due to the overhang of the tank on the sides, that one was to just get the idea out there and then go from there.

Say something like this then since it has the correct dimensions:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/fuo/1039441510.html

Reinforce the top, and I'm thinking take out the drawers and take just the fronts and connect them together so you have well doors. Then reinforce with 2x4s and Voila! or something like that.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 03:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ldk59
The short answer is "no" (your thinking about putting
~800lbs on something designed to hold socks)

Now, I have NO doubt that someone, at some point has
done this ... but I wouldn't want to be their downstairs
neighbor.

Building a "proper" stand from some 2x4's is pretty easy
(you could always skin it to look like a dresser if you wanted)

Larry
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
trouble is that when the top bows your drawers won't open. I really don't think its a good idea for that reason. Look for something that if the top bowed that it wouldn't cause issues, or that it would be possible to fully reinforce the top with a vertical support.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 04:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
It can be done, but it would be quite a bit of work. I would start by giving up the top row of drawers, making them permanently attached, to cover the frame of 2x4's on edge that would reinforce the top so it wouldn't sag in the middle. The, I would make each remaining drawer about an inch less wide, and add vertical side panels inside, made of 3/4 plywood, attached to the 2 x 4 frame across the top. If you wanted to have room for equipment, attaching the drawer fronts to a couple of panels of 3/4 plywood to make doors would work. You would have trouble working out a hinge installation though, so those doors might have to be fully removable, instead of hinged. In any case it would be a fun thing to try.

Oh, and you would need to work out a way to carry the load from the tank down to large area "feet" of some kind, to spread out the load.

Hoppy
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was thinking just continuing the 2x4s to the floor as the added support. Anyway the reason I'm tossing this idea around is the local fish store (Oddball pets) has a sale on 75s for $105. I mentioned it as a good price and surprise surprise my wife actually didn't say no. This is very unusual. I must take advantage of this while i can!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 06:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aside from the question over its ability to support the weight, the stand would not be very good for storage.

A filter or a CO2 tank will not be able to fit in that. You'll have to place it next to the stand, which looks less pleasing.

Rena Filtstar #137!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
If it were me.... I wouldn't want to try and do the dresser thing. I think there would be way to much headache to make it work right.

Here is my simple stand for a 20G long. I actually made it big enough for a 30G in hopes of setting one up some day.

I have scaled up this design to use as our current bed frame too. I am sure you could do the same thing for a 75G. Then if you don't want to see equipment and such you need to find a way to skin it in.

5.65WPG, EI dosing

4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (29/100%)
It will be dependent on the original construction of the dresser. Some of the older stuff was overbuilt, but not all of it. I would not even consider a modern built dresser. The stands I have built were all 3/4" plywood, 2X4 construction is overkill for most tanks. you would have to look at the dresser and see what material it is built out of, if it is a plywood box say 1/2", then remove all the drawer hardware and add a layer of 1/2" plywood inside the existing panels. This would not be easy you may have to remove the bottom or face to pull it off, the other thing it would need is a full height load bearing bulkhead between the drawers to carry the load in the center front. The top may need reinforcing, once again depending on what it is to start with, but if you put in the center bulkhead the top only is spanning 1/2 of the length and there is not that much load there anyway, the glass front would have to bow vertically to load that spot. I was told once by a LFS owner, then it was backed up by his tank supplier that a glass tank can be supported by just the 4 corners and it will be fine. I would never test this in my living room but the LFS had a metal stand with a 125 Gal glass tank on it that you could slide a business card under the long sides except for the 2" at each corner. That tank was there for many years until the shop closed.

The thing to remember is that the 4 corners have to be coplanar not just level, the tank can be out of level a fair amount as long as the 4 corners are coplanar. The tank killer is twist, just a little bit of twist and the glass can break.

Yes it can be done, is it eaiser than building from scratch? probably not. The only reason I would do it would be to match a furniture style.

If you have the tools and skill to do this, you also have the skill to build from scratch. Unless you find a dresser that was way overbuilt, the amount of retrofit would be to much IMHO.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you can gut out the dresser and make a stand like in post 11 above, then drop the dresser down onto the stand, that would work. You just need to make the stand high enough to hold the dresser completely. The stand in post 11 above would have to be built to hold the entire weight.
Joe

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode