Cerges co2 reator - what i learned - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cerges co2 reator - what i learned

-Lowes has a far better plumbing supply section than Home Depot

-Even so, be prepared to wander around that section for a good hour trying to find all this stuff.

-Fluval 405 filter tubing doesn't fit any size hose barb they sell. It can be replaced with 5/8 tubing.

-Zip Ties come in handy for this project.

-If you can't find the pieces needed to connect a 1/4 hose barb for your CO2, a 1/4 compression fitting works just as well.

-The ball valve seems unnecessary since the Fluval filter I'm using incorporates a shutoff valve in its tube connector.

-Leak test it. With this many connections, its easy to not tighten one down enough. Find a place you don't mind getting wet.

-This thing is big and tall. Have space for it.

-This thing works really well. Almost too well. I almost gassed my fish and I have a 125gallon. Be very careful, especially if you have a smaller tank.

-The flow from my filter really didn't take as much of a hit as I thought. Still if you are worried, don't use any 90 degree fittings.

Well thats all I can think of for now. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 02:52 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
Interesting info. Im on the verge of building one for my 75 so Im very curious...

Roughly how many bubbles per second are you pushing through it?

Did you get the 10" housing or 20"?

Got any pics?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry for the bad pics in advance. Hope it helps. I haven't hooked up a bubble counter yet. I used one briefly but on a 125 with pressurized CO2, the bubbles were so rapid it was hopeless trying to count them. I will dig it out of my fish stuff box when I get a chance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150301_082603.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	438441  

Name:	20150301_082617.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	438449  

Name:	20150301_082714.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	438457  

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 04:02 PM
Planted Tanker

Thanks. No need to dig out the bubble counter. Mine runs pretty much at a steady stream also, or way too fast to count. I just wanted to know if you were doing a lot less like 3 bps or something.

I like that you didnt use 90 degree elbows. That's my plan as well. Hopefully a SunSun 304b wont be too much flow. It's rated 525 vs 340(?) for your Fluval. I'll probably add a ball valve at least on the outflow side just in case, but I'd really like to avoid restricting it.

One more thing, is it quiet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes its totally silent.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 02:16 AM
Algae Grower

I just bought one and plan to hook it up to my 65 gallon planted tank I'll be setting up next week. I'm wondering if I can hook it inline with my return pump or if I'm better off hooking it up to a secondary pump. I'm worried because one of the filters I had looked at had a 5gpm max rating. Which translates to 300pgh. I'm looking at running a pump with 900+gph flow rate. I know I'll lose quite a bit of flow rate due to my plumbing which is why I'm opting for that large of a pump but if its going to be limited to 300 regardless then I'm not going to waste the money on the pump.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 06:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Thanks. No need to dig out the bubble counter. Mine runs pretty much at a steady stream also, or way too fast to count. I just wanted to know if you were doing a lot less like 3 bps or something.

I like that you didnt use 90 degree elbows. That's my plan as well. Hopefully a SunSun 304b wont be too much flow. It's rated 525 vs 340(?) for your Fluval. I'll probably add a ball valve at least on the outflow side just in case, but I'd really like to avoid restricting it.

One more thing, is it quiet?
I have a 304-b and I find it underpowered so no need to worry about that. I would guess actual flow is closer to 200gph
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

co2 reactor

Heres a pic of mine. This is the first and only one I've built. I have a bubble counter on my regulator , but I just run it dry , because I cannot count the bubbles. Just a steady stream. I have a pH controller to judge the amount of co2. The reactor is totally silent. I cut the bottom out of a disani water bottle , and the cap end fits perfectly snug into the center of the reactor to hold the bubbles for diffusion. Works perfect and o bubbles in the tank. The reactor housing has a valve built in on the side which allows for either water bypass , or shutoff to easily service the filter/reactor. You could also use it as a partial bypass to control the flow thru the reactor. I bought this one at home depot for less than 30 bucks.

I had to turn the needle valve down from the setting when I was using an atomic in tank diffuser , so I am now using less co2 due to the better diffusion of the reactor.

Last edited by rick dale; 05-07-2015 at 12:23 AM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 06:44 PM
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick dale View Post
.... I cut the bottom out of a disani water bottle , and the cap end fits perfectly snug into the center of the reactor to hold the bubbles for diffusion. Works perfect and o bubbles in the tank.
Do you mean you're using the bottle as the center tubing, or are you talking about something else? I dont understand exactly what you did with the water bottle.

Last edited by burr740; 03-09-2015 at 07:00 AM. Reason: .
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

reactor

Quote:
Canisters are "rated" by the factory using zero media. Real time flow rates are always much less. I havent measured mine's gph but it is actually quite powerful. I do tend to run it fairly lean though, media wise.

Do you mean you're using the bottle as the center tubing, or are you talking about something else? I dont understand exactly what you did with the water bottle.
Yes Im using the bottle as the center tubing, instead of the pvc pipe. It is bigger round then the pvc , therefore it holds the co2 bubbles in better allowing for better diffusion.

Last edited by rick dale; 03-07-2015 at 08:50 PM. Reason: info
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 10:58 PM
Planted Tanker

Quote:
Yes Im using the bottle as the center tubing, instead of the pvc pipe. It is bigger round then the pvc , therefore it holds the co2 bubbles in better allowing for better diffusion.
Oh, you must have the inflow/outflow opposite from most designs, which have the co2/intake water coming into the outer part of the chamber, and exiting up through the inner piece of tubing. That's what I didnt understand how a bottle would help. Cant argue with 100% and silent though...

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

reactor

Quote:
Oh, you must have the inflow/outflow opposite from most designs, which have the co2/intake water coming into the outer part of the chamber, and exiting up through the inner piece of tubing. That's what I didnt understand how a bottle would help. Cant argue with 100% and silent though...
Here's a hand drawn pic. Excuse the amateur drawing. Yes your right. The inflow/ outflow are opposite. This is the first one I've built , and I saw it online where a guy made one like this and thought I would try it. He also said it would be less likely to restrict the flow as much. I don't know. Its all new to me. I do know that I get 100% diffusion. , and the flow is very good.I am using a new Sicce filter. 390 gph rated with only sponges in the filter. I have it coming out of a spray bar going down the back wall of the tank. The spray bar is over 3/4 the length of the tank. I also am using an aquaclear hob with full filtration , and it has one of those new surface skimmer boxes on it.

Last edited by rick dale; 05-07-2015 at 12:23 AM.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 11:33 PM
Planted Tanker

Yeah that's what I thought you meant. Interesting.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I have a pH controller to judge the amount of co2.
Would you mind sharing your thoughts or opinions about these things? I am thinking about getting one because the drop checker is the next weak link in my setup. Does it turn your solenoid on and off or just monitor your PH?
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 07:04 AM
Planted Tanker

Hey rick, size wise, did the water bottle fit well? Did you silicone it or anything?

Im liking this water bottle idea the more I think about it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode