Sealing cracked "spash guard" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sealing cracked "spash guard"

Hello,

I am in the process of readying my 12G JBJ nano for plants and eventually fish.

The plastic "spash guard" directly under the light, and just above the water is cracked and does not keep moisture from entering the fixture. Is there any way to seal this without blocking too much light, and will any type of "sealant" last a significant amount of time given that it will be blasted with constant light and heat (2x24 CF).

I attached a picture for reference.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I was thinking just some clear silicone might do the trick but thought I would run it by everyone else.

Thanks!

Kyle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	post-50686-1318537131.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	436665  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I can't quite figure out where the crack is...

First of all, is there current stresses causing the crack, or did it just smack against something while in transport? If there are still stresses on it, then sealing it won't really matter.

I imagine some silicone might work okay if it's cleaned up, but it would be pretty ugly. If there is a plastic supplier near you, maybe try one of the acrylic welding compounds, if you run that through the crack, you might be able to get it to self-seal.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sorry, should have specified, that is just a picture for reference, the crack on mine runs along the middle of the plastic all the way through...It doesn't seem to be accumulating much moisture inside but I just want to prevent a problem down the road...

Anyways have bigger problems at the moment as I believe there may be a small slow leak coming from the bottom of the tank somewhere, currently trying to determine if it is a leak for sure and not just water that dripped down while working on and slipped underneath...At least the tank is not established am grateful for that...

Will probably let the crack be for now until I get the rest of this figured out.... Meh

It's normal to walk 9 to 15 kilometers a day; it's normal not to sit in chairs; it's normal to have calluses on your feet. All of these things are normal. Sitting all day long, in a chair, not running, not walking, that is abnormal, and we pay a price for that.
-Daniel E. Lieberman, Evolutionary Biologist

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Good ol' super glue or epoxy won't work?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

---------------------------------

|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode