Diy co2 safety and reliability concerns - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Diy co2 safety and reliability concerns

So I'm going to setup a diy reactor for my 20g long. It'll be yeast sugar and baking soda. Gonna feed the tubing into the cap, hook it up to a check valve, and then feed it to a ceramic diffuser. Couple questions. How do I monitor the reaction and gauge whether or not it'll implode? Heard horror stories. Also, how would I go about shutting it off for the night... Removing the tube from the tank? I'm not sure how dangerous a co2 leak in a 650sqft apartment would be...or, would the fact that I have incredibly hard water buffered by driftwood, and a decent amount of surface agitation, be enough to combat pH swings? Also, can it sit next to the tank, slightly below or must it be level?

Other than that... It's relatively safe right? I'll be epoxing the tubing Into the bottle to prevent a leak, but in the event it leaks out at night, is it a health concern? Thanks guys. Will attach screens of what I got so far, feel free to recommend additional supplies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 11:51 AM
tug
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
For a 20 gallon tank you will need no fewer the 4 liters of fermentation, IME. The fermenting liquid can be kept on one bottle, if at least a 4liter size or two bottles, 2 liters each, 4 liters total. Read this and see if you have any questions the article doesn't cover. Pay close attention to how he attachs the air line to the fermentation bottle.
http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

There are several methods of dissolving CO2 into water, diffusion is one method mentioned in the article. IME, yeast make ceramic diffusers problematic for many reasons.

After seeing the results burr740 has using an Aquaclear HOB filter, they make excellent reactors for dissolving CO2 into the water.
To answer some of your other questions, more about attaching air hose and information on using the AQ filter, look at this thread posted at TPT, https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=810874&page=2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Roll Your Own.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 12:13 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
As far as the 2 litter bottles popping you really don't need to worry about It. Have you ever dropped a full bottle of soda? There's more pressure there than what you'll be producing with the diy setup as long as you don't stop the flow completly, and you won't be producing enough fast enough to worry about leaks. The only reason to worry with leaks is less co2 making it into your tank, a small leak with really lower the chance of the setup pushing all the way to the bottom of your tank and through a diffuser.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Dangers of breathing it? Hard to hurt yourself even with a really tight apartment. The gas itself is not harmful unless there is so much that you can't get O2. CO2 is used at indoor concerts nightly and the band breathes it. They are often used at Austin City Limits (ACL and SWSW) shows so I would consider the gas safe to breathe!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode