72 Gallon bow canopy DIY - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
72 Gallon bow canopy DIY

A friend of mine who is an awesome carpenter built this canopy for me with my design ideas. I can explain step by step how it was done. This is something that a handy DIY'er can handle. This is the material we used screws, 3/4" sheet of pine, 1 X 8 (2) 8', 1 sheet of 1/4" birch, 1" X 2" 8', 48" piano hinge, wood glue, knob, paint or stain.

This took just about a complete afternoon to build. The power tools we used were a table saw, Jig saw, cordless drill and that's about it.

1. The First thing that is to be done is create a cardboard template of the outside shape of the tank

1. now place the template you made on the sheet of 3/4" Pine. Add to each side 3/4" and 1/4" to the front. Use the 8' 1 X 8 and cut out the sides and the back. cut the front edges on an angle to match the curve of the tank. After you cut out the rear portion make sure you cut out space for your hoses and etc.

1. OK now you need to make a jig template for the small blocks of wood that will suspend the canopy to your tank. I used 2" pieces cut from the 1" X 2". see the photo where I placed them on the sides and rear.

1. Now place what you created over you tank and check your fitment

1. Now you will make the front. You will take the sheet of 1/4" birch and cut it 8" from one end to the other (using the 8' length). After you cut the birch then take the cut piece and line it up to one end of your tank. You will need help with this step, have a helper hold on side while you align the front and other side. Mark where to cut on the other end. Make you cut then secure it to the tank.

1. I opted to add slotted wood panel over my sides and front to match the bottom stand. If you are going to add this then make sure you add to the cut of the top for the additional space that would be needed. Mine was 1/4". So the space I had added to the sides was 1" (3/4" for the side and 1/4" for the panel) and front was 1/2" (1/4" for the birch and 1/4" for the slotted wood panel) additional, other wise you slotted panel will stick out (not kewl). We used a trim nail gun to secure the slotted panel to the canopy and also use it to secure the 2" blocks to the front bowed portion. Make sure you put alot of glue between 1/4" birch and the 1/4" slotted wood. After it is secured then clamp them together until they dry.

1. Now that you have the canopy shape completed you can cut the opening on the top. Make sure you leave space for the piano hinge. Mount the hinge to the top.

1. Make sure you use wood glue on all mating pieces. I used wood putty to fill all holes, then sanded. I used Flat black paint with a roller and brush so I can match the color of the lower stand.

I will post some more photos after I have everything setup. Thanks and enjoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:48 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Nice build! It's very professional

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Looks great!!!! Can't wait to see it all set up. Like the International box for your template.

Tim

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Nicely done! I built mine with the doors on the front though so I can still reach down into the tank without removing the canopy - those 72bows are deep!

Kevin

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Sweet! I have that same tank and stand. You want to make me the matching top?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
Sweet! I have that same tank and stand. You want to make me the matching top?

lol, It's not really that hard. The directions I posted are fairly simple. I know what your going through, I have checked for weeks for a wooden canopy at a fair price for this 72 bow. I only found a plastic cover and others who made custom canopy for crazy amounts of money. This by far was the smartest way of getting what I wanted. Besides you feel better about it if you build it yourself.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 11:53 PM
Algae Grower

Sorry to bring up an old thread.. Do you have any pics of it with lights on it?

***Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

***Double your drive space - delete Windows!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I wish I would have looked at this thread before yesterday's all day experiment trying to make my canopy for the 72 gallon. Doing it with one person is not very efficient but oh well, its almost done. Mine will be light enough so that I can just lift if off with one hand to work on aquarium. Good job and very nice canopy!

It's all about being sweet.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 08:55 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pictures

Can you repost you pictures?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode