Cool, it looks like it's going to let me finish.
Here's a photo of the assembled box with all the fixtures attached.
We inserted the wires into the box through a 1" hole worried into the top by my battery-powered lightweight craftsman drill, wired the fixtures, & attached the wires to the inside of the box with little plastic mirror hangers that we had. Meanwhile, I attached a couple strips of wood to the inside of my stand and mounted the power strips and timers. I dropped $10 each on these timers for the sole reason that they have little power cords coming off of them, rather than taking up half a power strip. The only downer is that they mount by hanging on a screw, so they're not that secure.
We cut a hole in the back for cable ingress using the largest hole saw in our new kit. I wanted to make a nice small hole that the cables would barely pass through, but Linda insisted on the big one. We then wired these super-sturdy 2-prong electrical plugs onto the end of the wires, plugged them in, had a shot of whiskey, crossed our fingers, and flipped the switches on.
It was getting late by then, and I guess it was more like a glass of wine, a couple beers, AND that shot of whiskey, so we didn't completely finish. What's left to do is mount the support on the back of the stand, and deal with the hanging process. I bought 1/16" cable, crimp connectors, and eye screws for that. Actually, it's probably a good thing that it's not all attached, because the outside still needs to be primed and painted (I'm thinking of black with the slightest hint of red in it, maybe like eggplant). Here's a shot of me holding it above the tank about where it's going to hang.
So, I've got 4 lights and 4 timers. I wanted to try something I've seen people posting about here with the light loading in stages. The bulbs come on and go off sequentially starting from the left. I've got 2700k bulbs on the edges to simulate a more diffuse "softer" light, with 6500k lights in the middle fixtures for more of a "high noon" type lighting. I know there's been a bit of a debate about the 2700k lights, and I know it's proven that plants don't photosynthesize as well under them, but I like the way they look in there, especially when combined with the 6500k. It seems like a lot of people use them with good success, so I'm willing to give them a try. I don't have any way to measure the amount of light that's actually making it out of the hood, but I figure I should be coming it at right around 2wpg (even if some of it is the less-effective 2700k). I've got 92 watts of light in there, divided by 37 gallons is around 2.5, so I could be losing a lot to the absence of reflectors and the restrikes or whatever from the CFLs and still be in pretty good shape. I guess I won't know until around May or so when I expect to be thinking about adding the plants.
By the way, the bulbs I used are not EXACTLY what I wanted, but Lowe's had a crappy selection. I thought I was going to be able to get 27w CFL's there, but they only had the 23w. They only had ONE choice for the 6500k bulb, so I bought it (3 of em, actually). There was a literal mountain of CFLs, but only one 6500k to choose from.
The next project I'm going to do for this aquarium is the background. All I need is 4 or 5 pieces of 3/8" plywood the height and width of my tank and some blue paint. Hopefully within the next couple weeks or so.
I hope everyone has a great weekend. I'll be lurking!