What size bulkheads? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
What size bulkheads?

I'm planing on building a roughly 180g tank and will be filtering it with one eheim 2026 and one eheim 2260. It's goning to be an aga ada style tank and I'll be drilling the bottom to connect all the equipment.

Ive never done any plumbing like that so Im a bit unsure what size bulkheads I should aim for. Is 3/4" to small? og could I use that and perhaps 1" for the 2260 inlet and return?

I'll also be drilling a couple of extra holes to run a co2 diffuser or a closed venturi loop.

All suggestions on this are very well apreciated. Browsing through older threads has already been a big help.. This forum has beena huge help in starting to plan this project.

Eheim pimp #127.
600 ltr (160g) planted tank. Pressurized CO2, Eheim 2260 & Sacem Marathon 2000, 156W T5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
http://reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php

Use this to figure out what sized tubing you need to support the flow you want.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks for the link, but isnt this used for an overflow with a sump?
Don't different rules apply when using a closed line plumbing with a canister filter?

Eheim pimp #127.
600 ltr (160g) planted tank. Pressurized CO2, Eheim 2260 & Sacem Marathon 2000, 156W T5.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
A hole is a hole is a hole. And water flow through a hole is mainly limited by it's diameter.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

certainly, but more water goes through a hole if the water is being sucket through that hole, like in the case with a closed loop and a canister filter. But when using a sum, the water just runs down through the hole, nothing pushing og sucking it. This is the reason I didnt read up on this on reefer forums.

Eheim pimp #127.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
i think that you should use 1 inch bulkheads

Discus, (The Other White Meat.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I recognize that planted tanks tend to require relatively little water flow (compared to marine), so you're probably thinking of erring on the small side. However, if you find that your bulkhead provides too much flow, it is easy to restrict it (1" to 3/4" PVC adapters are almost free). The opposite is not the case; so, I would err on the side of excess bulkhead capacity.

On a 180G tank you probably want at least one, probably two, 1" outflows. Another 2 for return (if you're drilling bulkheads for the return).
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
This chart might help also.

http://flexpvc.com/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml

Last edited by bibbels; 02-21-2009 at 07:59 AM. Reason: forgot to insert link
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
[quote=Sven;787669]I'm planing on building a roughly 180g tank and will be filtering it with one eheim 2026 and one eheim 2260. It's goning to be an aga ada style tank and I'll be drilling the bottom to connect all the equipment.

Ive never done any plumbing like that so Im a bit unsure what size bulkheads I should aim for. Is 3/4" to small? og could I use that and perhaps 1" for the 2260 inlet and return?

I'll also be drilling a couple of extra holes to run a co2 diffuser or a closed venturi loop.
[quote]

Really if you dont already have the ehiem filters and all the gear already then i think that you should try to run everything off of one set of bulkheads.

you could use a set of 2" bulkheads and push through a nu clear canister and attatch all accessories inline, driving them with one high powered pump, you could buy a nice iwaki pump and still have money left over that you wouldve spent on the eheims.

Drilling one hole through the ~ 3/4" glass of a 180 takes a long time, should be approaching 30 minutes. Doesnt sound so bad until you are actually out on the back lawn crouched over the tank with a power drill, and trying to stay still like a statue for a half hour.

so drilling only two holes is better, you can always whack up the outflow using loc line or some combination of a pvc fittings and loc line, say a big T fitting and some reducers. you can even throw in a ball valve if you wanted more versatility and ability to adjust the flow where you want it.

Discus, (The Other White Meat.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode