DIY Stand: How Level is Level Enough? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
DIY Stand: How Level is Level Enough?

So I finally finished my DIY stand. I opted to put some plywood between the tank and the 2x4s because the joints weren't perfectly flush. I leveled the stand by putting shims between the base and the pavement and filled the tank with water. After using the level I realized the results I was getting atop the tank were not as promising as the readings I got from the stand itself (I checked it many, many times). Here are the pictures I took:

FRONT TO BACK: from one side to the other:

SIDE TO SIDE

CORNER TO CORNER

It looks as though there is some torsion in the tank which concerns me. The stand isn't perfect but its definitely more level than this without the tank on it. I'm unsure as to whether or not this is anything to worry about. I'm going to leave it for a few weeks to test it but the truth is if this is a problem then it may not cause the tank to fail for a number of months so I would be very grateful for an experienced opinion on the subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
As I understand it, torsion is a bigger concern than being level. Its the twisting from torsion that will destroy a tank.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 05:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sorry I can't see the pics. But when I built mine I tried to get it perfect especially make sure there isn't I twist to it. I leveled the stand in the location where I was putting it. Then I put the tank on it and leveled it again. I let it sit for a day with no water then I leveled it again. I hardscaped the next day then I checked the levelness again. So after it had been sitting up for 4 days I filled it, I must've did something right cause I don't even think I have a 1/16 th of an inch difference in any direction, front to back or side to side. The last thing I need is 125 gallons of water in my living room.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Make a note of the lowest corner and by how much.
Drain enough water so you can handle it and shim that corner by that much, then refill.
Check the level again.

As suggested above, it is better to see a slight unevenness either front to back OR left/right. Work pretty diligently to get rid of corner-to-corner twisted sort of un-level.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I figured it out. This tank was resealed and the top rim isn't on there quite perfectly. Its almost 1/16" higher in the corner that is off so its throwing off the level. Putting the level on the lip of the bottom trim on the right side gives the same results as on top of the tank on the left side.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode