Wood dimensions for custom 55g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wood dimensions for custom 55g

Hi,

I just ordered a custom aquarium in OptiWhite (yey! 1st one in opti ) with the dimensions L48xW20xH16. And I was planning to do a simple and sleek stand.

My question is, would 2x2" be sufficient if I have center braces?
Or is there any other "configuration" I could use with 2x2" that would work and be safe?
The shell will be MDF sheets from ikea, and only screwed/glued/magnetted (pretty sure thats not a word, but think you get what I mean :P) on, so it will have no load-bearing only get the stand more rigid.

Really wanted to use 2x2" as it is easy to fit and make a clean look when its square, I could of course use 3x3" but thats really expensive here in Norway, about 11$ pr meter (40") when 2x2 is like 4$ pr meter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Most people opt for 2x4" here in the states. It makes things a bit easier at times. I'm sure you could make it work, but I would price out 2x4" if you could.

Also, wood is expensive there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the reply.
I know most do 2x4". As I have seen very little on using 2x2" I am asking for more information. 2x4" is the cheapest actually, because its the most common here.

Yes, pretty much everything is expensive here -.- the stand in total will be about 250$, would be the same price if I used plain MDF from the woodshop, inlcuding paint/lacker/finish. So I just decided to go for Ikea cabinet shells and doors, looks better and all the work is already done.

The reason I want to use 2x2" is that I find symmetric materials more esthetically pleasing, and is easier to fit everything together in my personal opinion.

Last edited by Malakian; 02-18-2015 at 01:13 PM. Reason: More info

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
It is easier to use screws/nails with 2 x 4 material than with 2 x 2 material. And, a 2 x 2 frame has almost no resistance to racking loads - side to side loads, which tend to cause the frame to collapse. But, if you use good wood glue to attach sheet goods (MDF, plywood, etc.) to the frame, 2 x 2 is certainly strong enough. The two things the frame has to do are: support the weight of the filled tank, and prevent any twisting/or other distortions from side loads.

Hoppy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I tend to use a lot of 2x4s and 2x3s, I imagine 2x2s would work, but like Hoppy said, their isn't as much room for fasteners, so you have to plan your joints pretty carefully.

Also, a 2x2 will flex a lot more then a 2x3 on end, so you'll need more vertical supports under the horizontal pieces, but that's a pretty minor concern.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
2x2 could be used but I'd use mortise/tenon joints, half laps and/or bridle joints and glue and forgo fasteners totally. Any of these joints could be pinned with a dowel to resist any type of pullout.
With properly executed joinery there is no problem.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
No doubt the wood supply may be totally different for you but when wood shopping here, I would not even consider 2X2. The common 2X2 here is not much more than rejects. Once the ties are cut off the bundle they warp so bad that I hesitate to even use them for lightweight framing behind sheetrock.
On 2X4, I can sort the stack and find lots that look good. I do have to do some sorting to find the straight ones. My method for this is to lay two alongside each other. If they are in contact the full length, I turn one over and if straight they are still in full contact. If not, I know one is crooked and I reject it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for all the feedback and good tips. After readong this, ill just go for the 2x4, as it will be alot more fool proof :P Done quite a few DIY, and even worked a couple of years in a woodshop, but still don't trust "self-made" to the same degree as fabricated. No reason to why, just that if things go to shait, I have someone to blame

Bump: And yeah, when you mention it, I also remember the 2x2 sorting to be horrible here too. 2x4 is better but still only like 1 in 15 that can be used, as they usually get all relocated by customers and end up in a mess of a pile. The staff not tidying them up and yea..they get crooked as s**t. If its a fresh *stack* though its a joy, usually only the first outer layer thats slightly crooked.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I don't trust my eyes to tell me when wood is straight so I use a different method. Rather than sighting down the edges, I lay two alongside each other to see if they touch for the full length. If so, I then turn one over so that the other sides are touching. In this way , I can spot even a 1/4" of in an 8' stud.
Finding a half dozen which fit the test? That takes grace!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode