diy sump/filtration question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
diy sump/filtration question

so I have a 55 gallon All Glass aqarium with a broken top middle brace that I bought cheap a while ago, it holds water, even full. I had comtemplated selling it, but not I'm jumping back into it and wanting to do a full custom built background. I've done a few and I'm excited to do another.

So my vision is a full backwall rock/wood layout, while the main area of the tank ends up divided into three seperate areas only about 10 inches tall, each area designed for a male betta. Between each area is a divider wall rocked over to look legit, with screening in the divider to allow water flow.

now my biggest concern so far is figuring out what to do for filtration.
first thought is to try and rig up my eheim to deal with the lower water level, and using the output side to help create waterflow/waterfall over the back rockwall.
second thought is to create a sump, I have a few 10 gallons and a 20 gallon long sitting around I can easily turn into a sump. but the sump I'm thinking would almost certainly cause me to have to drill one of the side panels down low to put in the overflow, and the resulting pump needed to create enough head flow to push water back up might be too strong in many ways.

now I don't want to go sponger filter/air pump route, I'm trying to get cute and hide it. I have considered pumpless since it is male betta's but I still want water flow over the back wall....

would it be even easier to just create a sectioned area in a back corner for a pump to just shoot water up tubing to the top of the wall and down it, and let that be the filtration?

thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 04:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like the thought of camouflage the pump and make it a water fall. A little bit of sponge wrapped around the pump is all the filter they would need. A water fall that is more of a trickle over the rocks will not be to much water movement for them. The intake could be sort of like a spray bar, going the full length of the tank so each section has some removal going on. Then the connections between the chambers are more for keeping the water level rather than moving the water (and waste) from section to section.

Just be sure you can get to the pump and all the plumbing for cleaning.
Cute can be... well... cute. Until you have to take it apart because you cannot access it for cleaning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Drilling the tanks is not that hard, if you have any sort of skill with carpentry or related trades. Basically, if you own the right drill then you have probably done something like it, at least near enough to be able to drill the tank.

Then, inlet at one end, outlet at the other (2 holes).
sump with filter, heater (other stuff?) can be as small as 10 gallon for the set up you are thinking about. 20 long is OK, too.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm not worried about having the drill, or bit, my father has a ton of tools and I'm 99% sure he has it. I just want to avoid cutting the glass if possible.

I'm kinda liking the idea of just a pump up to the top of the wall and thats the water fall, like you said with a spray bar being the outlet over the length of the wall.
I think it'll be plenty of filtration.

for the pump being in the corner, I was thinking of an overflow, with a guard to stop a betta from getting dumb, to help avoid a bunch of issues I've had with previous betta's and pumps/overflows.

Thanks! Sometimes throwing ideas around in your head can seem interesting and work, and you just need a person to throw them off of to make them actually make sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Setting it up like a paludarium, with a waterfall and plants will probably provide a lot of filtration potential - the waterfall will act somewhat like a wet/dry, and the plants will suck up a lot of nutrients.

You could also do something like mattenfilters for the dividers, that way you wouldn't have to worry about distributing the flow as much, have the pump draw from one end of the tank, and pump to a waterfall at the other end. When I've done paludarium waterfalls in the past, I'd usually stick something in the corner, like vinyl gutter downspouts, or pvcs, or part of a container, so I could access the pump/filter media/whatever from the top without having to remove the whole background.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks for the input, the only reason I wouldn't want filterfoam as the dividers is if they plug up unless I put in a ton of extra effort to make them removable. Which just sounds like a pain vs using some screening (for windows/doors) which won't clog up.

For the waterfall, that is what I was thinking, a pump in one corner, accessible. I was thinking of creating an overflow to the pump leaving the top open.
I'm thinking of running a pvc pipe across the top, something small, and just enough to get the water to like halfway across the top, and then figure out a drip method down the wall. Maybe like a pooling area with an actual waterfall/overflow lip.
Oh who knows right? Haha with these custom builds things just kinda happen when you're building

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like the 'just kinda happen' sort of scaping!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode