alternative to polystyrene foam - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
alternative to polystyrene foam

i plan to use some kind of material between a 62x18x26" rimless eurobraced glass tank and it's diy ada inspired stand to soak up any imperfections in the top of the stand and give a cheap insurance as to not end up with a leak or any problems.

due to the nature of the ada design you cant really hide a thick 1/2" sheet of foam underneath the tank, you would see it.

i think that 1/4" may be alright, it is thin and probably even a little bit thinner while it is being compressed by approx 1400lbs so it wouldnt really be noticable.

But is there anything else i could use instead that wont create an ugly gap between the tank and stand but will still give some padding?

Discus, (The Other White Meat.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (19/100%)
Neoprene foam

polystyrene foam will diminish over time due to pressure. Closed-cell foam will keep it's shape.

Cheers,
Jens

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 12:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Excuse me to add my 2 cents, but can I get this foam in home depot or lowes? If yes, in which department and how are they selling it? Thank you .

Ckeck out my photography&travel blog

And "Like Us" on Facebook

Thanks

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens View Post
Neoprene foam

polystyrene foam will diminish over time due to pressure. Closed-cell foam will keep it's shape.
that looks promising. i am thinking of using the 1/4"
but can i get away with using the 1/8" ?
i would think that more is better up until about a half inch.
but at a half inch i would have a noticable gap. the 1/4" neoprene should be able to keep itself hidden away, and i can trim it about a 1/4" from the edges where it will be slightly recessed so you wont have the edge sticking out into sight.

Thoughts on this?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 06:28 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
you could paint the foam ends to match
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusIt'sWhats4DinneR View Post
that looks promising. i am thinking of using the 1/4"
but can i get away with using the 1/8" ?
i would think that more is better up until about a half inch.
but at a half inch i would have a noticable gap. the 1/4" neoprene should be able to keep itself hidden away, and i can trim it about a 1/4" from the edges where it will be slightly recessed so you wont have the edge sticking out into sight.

Thoughts on this?
Don't trim it recessed. the glass needs the support. 1/4" is hardly noticeable. I used 1/2" and I trimmed is flush.

Cheers,
Jens

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaubert View Post
you could paint the foam ends to match

i could just hit them with a coat of silver spray, but it might not look so nice. anyway, this is why i am taking a lot of care to make sure that the stand ends up nice and level. i have really gotten rolling on this project in the last couple days. so i am ordering that 1/4" sheet of neoprene right now.

Im so glad that you reccomended this Jens

It is made with a 4x4 frame, mitered joints and the weight of the tank is channelled downwards into the wood rather than being supportd by lag bolts or brackets. will post pics eventually when i have something worthy of pics together. Very strong design, almost indestructable. it's nice and heavy, and will look very nice.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 03:55 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode