Building custom tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Building custom tank

I think I want to build me a custom tank to fit in a certain spot.
The measurements are 41x20x24.
Questions:
1. How thick of glass needed? I was thinking 1/2" but not sure.
2. How about bracing? needed ? and if so where/how? I also saw somewhere that I would also need to braces the bottom inside as well? Since this is a custom build I will not have the bottom plastic frame.

Thanks for the input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 04:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you brace the tank 1/2" will work for what you are looking to do. It needs to be a full euro brace however. Braces on the inside bottom certainly wouldn't hurt. This is a decent sized tank for your first build, anything that can help your success I would do. Also be sure to use a good silicone. RTV 103 or 108 would be your best bet.

I would also recommend building something smaller first and seeing how that goes.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The bracing on the bottom would look like the Euro as well? Could I get away with 3/8" glass and still do all the bracing.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 04:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
On the bottom it is pretty much a 2" strip of glass all the way around the inside, it's purpose is just to give the silicone a bit more to grab onto.

You might be able to get away with 3/8" but it would be risky. Not only does the thicker glass prevent bowing it also makes it easier to properly attach each panel and give the silicone more strength. By having more surface area to grab onto it is less likely to let go. 1/2" is really the way to go.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 06:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
If your measurements are really on the money, it may be easier to simply build put down a panel of 3/8" glass instead of four strips on the bottom. The tank's height is the issue regarding bowing, but at 41" in length, I'm not convinced it couldn't be done with chevrons in the corners instead of full eurobracing, but I wouldn't have issues with eurobracing it.

Something to consider here is weight. 1/2" glass will make this one really heavy bugger. Aside from all the other planning, you should have extra hand around for setting the panels in place and then setting the final product in place.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
With 1/2" of surface area I would doubt you need bracing on the bottom. And a brace around the edges of the bottom would be a pain in the butt. If you don't want all the Eurobracing you could get away with a 3" wide center brace front to back. Oceanic use to do that on their tanks.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the input everyone, But this project just got put on the back burner. The wife may be pregnant and since this is nearly 9yrs after the last...we have nothing on hand. So my budget just got real small.

Thanks again
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 10:46 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Get a pro to cut the glass for you. Using a hobby glass cutter isn't going to work anything above 1/4" or at least you'll have a hard time with it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 10:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by denboka View Post
Thanks for the input everyone, But this project just got put on the back burner. The wife may be pregnant and since this is nearly 9yrs after the last...we have nothing on hand. So my budget just got real small.

Thanks again
The budget may have shrunk, but your life will be infinitely richer. Best of luck with the little one. I put the hobby on hold for a bunch of years trying to keep up with my three and trying to tread water financially. I wouldn't do it any different today.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Even with the birth of my son in 09 I never got out of the hobby. Of course I only had 4 tanks and there may have been times when maintenance went a bit long but I never took them down. He's been around tanks all his 5 years and he really has been good with them. Only once did he put his cars in the bottom 45. He would sit in front of that tank for long periods just watching. I am of the opinion he's better off since I left them up.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode