Thank you to some of the AAPE members who helped my elong with some advice. even if it was not from their personal experience!
First off I started with a sterilight 12 cup air and water tight canister.
I forgot to take a photograph of the one I have...but it it the 12 cup square on the website.
this is the complete filter.
This is the outflow pipe going to the aquarium with a gate valve for flow regulation.
(close up of the fitting I used. 3/4" male thread to 3/4" slip with 1/2" reducer slip.)
this is the inflow.
it come directly from the aquarium right into the filter.
(the fitting used is female 3/4" thread to 1/2" slip)
This is the only way the electrical cord would be sealed 100%.
I used a 1/2 slip to 1/2 male thread with a female threaded endcap drilled to the diameter of the cord. both fittings are full of silicone. on the threads I have teflon tape, and between the canister and the PVC fittings I have a rubber seal with silicone.
The container it's self is not 100% airtight out of the assembly line so I did a bit of modification...
The tab that is used to release steam with microwaving food was not airtight so I added a bunch of silicone to it and fixed that problem.
I also have to have zip ties running around it two directions to keep pressure on the lid...I need to find a batter way to do this.
Oh, and at first this may seem like the best place to put the electrical cord, but is not...trust me.
This is the intake I made out of old siphoning tubing.
I just used the trusty dremal tool's cutting wheel and cut three slices into the tubing. Then used a piece of foam (I am unsure what kind it is, I just found it in the garage not in a bag) and put a bead of silicone around it to insure it would stay in place. A rubber cork would work better.
This is how the filter media is separated.
top level contains 4 pot scrubbers
mid level has carbon bags on top of water polishing pads
bottom level contains the 80gph pump with bio cylinders.
I drilled a smaller hole for my CO2 tubing right into the outflow pipe to get diffused.
another full shot of the filter finished.
The filter has been up and running since early December without any problems and I plan on making more for other aquariums in the near future.
I have the filter on this aquarium.
1/2"* PVC** ***
pipe fittings to direct PVC to desired location
3/4" male thread elbow to 3/4" slip
3/4" male thread to 1/2" hose barb
3/4" female thread to 1/2" slip
3/4" female thread to 3/4" slip
3/4" to 1/2" reducer X2
airtight container of appropriate size
tube of silicone.
*size used for small aquariums. use larger for aquariums over 20 gallons.
**be sure to buy enough PVC. the filter demonstrated is right behind the aquarium on the stand so I needed under 4 feet. being under the aquarium in a stand it'll be a lot more.
*** you can also use flexible tubing which would be a little bit easier in some cases.
I couldn't find all of the 1/2" PVC joints I needed in 1/2" so that is why I have 3/4" with 1/2" reducers.
Hopefully this was helpful and I hope you enjoyed reading and looking at the photographs.
Please let me know if you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them to the best of my knowledge.