LED bublb calcs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
LED bublb calcs

Alright I scrapped/sold my LEDs and and the parts I had bought for my S/W seahorse tank light array. Anyways I have a little Finnex 4 going right now and would like to move to LED for this. The dims are 12 x 7.5 x 10. Its a slick little tank and deserves a slick light. The stock light, and a HD light on it does not look good. For that matter I just do not like PC flour at all. I had been considering setting up a custom built 15 gallon and then getting one of the GLO dbl T5 units but A) the cost of a custom tank is yikes!!!, and B) the stock in the custom is likely to be blackwater crypts, java fern, anubias nana etc so the T5 most likely would not work strung over both tanks.

Anyways the long and the short is how many 3 watt Crees do you think I need to have med/high light? I am thinking 8 white 3 watt Crees, and a few red and blue added in. Not sure how many on those either. Not sure if the eight would be overkill, but they will be dimmable so I am not worried too much just don't want to piss money away. Then if I turn this tank into a mini reef sopmeday the lighting will be mostly in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
I had six 3 watt Cree LEDs in a DIY fixture over a 6 gallon tank- I think it was 12L x 10D x 12H. It was an iwagami style tank with dwarf hairgrass and HC- both grew fine and the HC grew low to the ground. I used 5 white and 1 red and the red was actually a little distracting because it put out a red spot in one part of the tank. I think getting a good color balance might be the toughest part of using color leds.

I would think 8 total LEDs would be plenty.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
I have only done a little playing around with LED lights but don't they come in different angled outputs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
5.65WPG, EI dosing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes. Cree come in 90 degree, rebel 135 degree. You can get optics to solve that issue.
8 sounds like a good # to start with. I will go all white and adjust later if necessary.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well the build plans are in process. I can't believe I sold all my stuff and now I am going back to it. I actually listened to my wife about cleaning up. But at least I know the vendors to use.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Should be good. I'm using 10 LEDs over the same tank, but for a reef, and it equates to lighting levels similar to a 70W MH.

I don't know about putting a red LED in for the same reasons stated above. If you want to add a little more red spectrum to the tank without making things look funny, try mixing in a few warm white LEDs. Adds a little more red, but won't put red streaks in the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode