Trying out Citric acid and Baking soda CO2 - Page 36 - The Planted Tank Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #526 of 872 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Well today was the last day for the mix. I only got a disappointing 21 days out of it. A bit short of the 30 I got last time. I think I will call it good enough for now and just stay with this last one and be happy with 20 to 30 days. Not even sure I want to keep the tank I am running it on as a high light tank. I have been thinking about switching it over to low to medium light. We shall see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #527 of 872 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 07:35 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello Jrill,

Many of us are using the citric acid and soda co2 reactor. I am also also running a setup for past 2-3 days and observed some points from which I concluded that the output is controllable but not constant. I may be wrong but I need other's observations and advices to make this setup even better.

My logic as well was practical observations:

1. Bottle A is mixed with 200gms citric acid and 600ml water. Bottle B is mixed with 200gms soda and 200ml water.
2. After adding all the equipments and keeping the needle valve or ball valve closed, we need to squeeze the bottle A and citric acid flows into bottle B containing soda. As soon as both of them react co2 is produced and some amount of co2 or soda mixture(CORRECT ME HERE,WHETHER IS IT CO2 OR SODA THAT BACKFLOWS) flows back to bottle A. Pressure in both the bottles increases and i think pressure in bottle A is a bit higher than that of bottle B(CORRECT AGAIN IF ITS INCORRECT). Now we can open the needle or ball valve when the pressure reaches 15-20 PSI or 1-1.5 kg/cm3.
3. As soon as we open the co2 flows from bottle B to tank and we can adjust the bps with needle valve.
4. Now after some time when co2 production slowly depletes in bottle B(CORRECT WHETHER CO2 PRODUCTIONS GRADUALLY DECREASES WITH TIME) the output will keep on decreasing and due to this decrease in pressure in bottle B citric acid flows from bottle A to B to make adjustments in pressures. And as soon as the citric again reacts with soda, co2 produces and the output slowly increases.

Now here's my point. At some point of time output starts decreasing and then again it will increase. Therefore a fluctuation on co2 output and thereby not consistent.

What you guys think of this?
post #528 of 872 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Not quite sure what your asking, but pressure does change. I find that over all pressure increases over the life of the mix until it empties the citric acid bottle and pressure peaks. For me this last buildup lasts about a week and during that time is the when bubble count is inconsistent. I need to open the needle valve a bit more each day over that week until no pressure is left.

post #529 of 872 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Algae Grower

I am asking that does the output remains same throughout the time or it fluctuates? as per my observations and calculations the bps and output will vary from time to time, thus fluctuations of co2
post #530 of 872 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 08:54 AM
Algae Grower

You mean to say pressure on bottle A keeps on increasing gradually even when there is no leak until the whole CA has been consumed?
post #531 of 872 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Algae Grower

Do you mean that pressure of the system gradually increases with time?
post #532 of 872 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
Do you mean that pressure of the system gradually increases with time?
After two or three weeks or so mine has always increased as the last 1/3 or so of the citric acid is used up.
post #533 of 872 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 07:22 PM
Algae Grower

I will be posting a modified DIY version of mine with pneumatic parts assembled from local stores. Locally 3-4 hobbyists are using the same setup. We got inspired by the banggood version and started assembling for our own version which costed 1/3 the actual price.
post #534 of 872 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Locally 3-4 hobbyists are using the same setup. We got inspired by the banggood version and started assembling for our own version which costed 1/3 the actual price.
Anxious to see it.
post #535 of 872 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 04:10 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Has anybody used baking powder? All you need is to add water. As you know water releases the acid in baking powder to react with the baking soda.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #536 of 872 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 07:02 AM
Algae Grower

Here's what we used for the complete setup:

1. Pressure gauge with connecting adapter ( 2.5$)
2. Needle Valve with connecting adapter (2$)
3. PU Pipe - 6mm(4 metre) (1$)
4. CO2 caps from Banggood (1.4$ each)
5. Ball valve with connecting adapter(Optional) (3$)
6. Flow Controller with connecting adapter(Optional) (2.5$)
7. Teflon Tape (0.5$)
8. Safety valve with adapter connector (1.2$)

Total - 13$ approx.

Here are some pics of the setup:

post #537 of 872 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Banned

But, you can buy that system for $13 on eBay. Or for another $8 buy the pro kit with the plastic bar.
post #538 of 872 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 02:02 PM
Algae Grower

This is even better than the box one. Moreover it is flexible. Even if you have any leak at any part you can fix or replace which you can't with the Chinese version. Once it leaks you have to throw it away. This is the USP of this setup. Also price is lower than the pro version and works as efficient as the so called pro one.
post #539 of 872 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 02:39 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Hey, how does liquid from bottle A get pulled in bottle B?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #540 of 872 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
This is even better than the box one. Moreover it is flexible. Even if you have any leak at any part you can fix or replace which you can't with the Chinese version. Once it leaks you have to throw it away. This is the USP of this setup. Also price is lower than the pro version and works as efficient as the so called pro one.
Interesting. I hope it works out like you plan.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode