Trying out Citric acid and Baking soda CO2 - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 866 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Well I was a little bored so I splurged and picked up a $14 solenoid valve on eBay. Its rated for continuous service so it should work. Came yesterday and I hooked it up this morning. I did experience a small problem with the unit. They use what appears to be a silicon type washer where the bottle goes. Very flimsy. The backing soda side tore a bit and must have leaked. That threw the pressure off which appears to have caused the citric acid to keeping flowing as it tried to equalize the pressure. A trip to ace hardware for a replacement in the form of an o ring fixed the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 866 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 10:14 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (120/100%)
Did you ever get past the 7 day duration or 2 bps? Im doing sugar/yeast on a 20 gallon with two reactor bottles. I can stay at a steady 2 bps changing out 1 bottle per week. If this could do better, either produce more co2 or run steady for longer, then I would be very interested in trying it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 866 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I was in my first week of trying that when the seal leaked. That was yesterday. I had started the two week test last Saturday so I will have to restart that test when the current Solution empties. But judging by how much is left even with the loss of pressure and fluid transfer that occurred because of the seal I will easily go past one week on this load.

post #34 of 866 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well got nine days out of the last mix which included the above leak. Remixed today so I will see how far it goes at 2 bps just during the lighting period. The $14 solenoid valve I installed has been working really well.
post #35 of 866 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 04:36 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have been looking into this setup if you can get two weeks im pulling the trigger and doing it
mcdanielnc89 and mcdanielnc89 like this.
post #36 of 866 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 11:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I ordered a cheap one of these set ups from China the other day. Hopefully it will get here before the next Chinese New Year! So I am following your progress.

I am curious are both solutions being neutralized or just the baking soda?
post #37 of 866 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Just the baking soda. At the end the citric acid bottle is empty with all the fluid having been moved to the baking soda side. The baking soda slowly dissolves as it produces the co2. Even after the citric acid side is empty and the soda dissolved it continues to produce co2 for a day or more.
post #38 of 866 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 03:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemptation88 View Post
Looks like there are different forms of citric acid, monohydrate and anhydrous. Also different grades, food and chemical grade. I wonder if these factors can change how long the reaction occurs.
Food grade vs chemical grade shouldn't matter much. Both will be in the high 90's as far as purity is concerned.

The citric acid should be labeled as monohydrate or anhydrous. The only real difference is one of weight. The hydrated form contains about 10% water by mass. If you're intending to use 200g of anhydrous citric acid and 600mL of water, you could use 219g of monohydrate and 581mL of water. It's unlikely that this will affect the outcome significantly.
post #39 of 866 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 05:27 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have one of these, they work but are cheaply made and don't last. Im replacing mine with pressurized CO2 as soon as my tank arrives and gets filled. I have automated my co2 with pH controller and a solenoid. I also added a pressure regulator after the junk stock needle valve(to which I leave wide open), and a second but better needle valve after the pressure regulator.

post #40 of 866 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
I have one of these, they work but are cheaply made and don't last. Im replacing mine with pressurized CO2 as soon as my tank arrives and gets filled. I have automated my co2 with pH controller and a solenoid. I also added a pressure regulator after the junk stock needle valve(to which I leave wide open), and a second but better needle valve after the pressure regulator.

How long does yours last between refills.
post #41 of 866 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
How long does yours last between refills.
4 to 5 days. Pressurized CO2 will be cheaper in the long run by far.

More CO2 gets wasted by leaks and over pressure release than what will ever go into water.
post #42 of 866 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
4 to 5 days. Pressurized CO2 will be cheaper in the long run by far.

More CO2 gets wasted by leaks and over pressure release than what will ever go into water.
Interesting. I have had it running going on three weeks but have only been able to go nine days for the longest between refills. That's running roughly between 1.7 to 2.0 bps for 8 hours a day. My goal had been 14 days between refills but that's not looking achievable so far.
post #43 of 866 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 02:57 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Interesting. I have had it running going on three weeks but have only been able to go nine days for the longest between refills. That's running roughly between 1.7 to 2.0 bps for 8 hours a day. My goal had been 14 days between refills but that's not looking achievable so far.
I don't do bps, I run PH controller. Its on as needed to keep PH at my set point. That would account for using more CO2 , but I also don't have PH swings that the fish have to endure every day.
post #44 of 866 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the info. Can I ask what size tank its supplying to.
post #45 of 866 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 03:07 PM
Algae Grower

Its not really designed for how I'm using it. I'm sure that if there was a slow constant flow like how it supposed to be used instead of the nearly full on full off like do, it would last longer. Its just not designed for PH controller systems.

I do still stand by my statement that pressurized CO2 would be cheaper in the long run.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Can I ask what size tank its supplying to.

20 gallon

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode