DIY canister filter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY canister filter

I think I might try this for my 20 gallon long. I was thinking about getting a canister filter because my bn pleco is messier than the rest of the fish combined, but I was googling canisters and they're way too expensive.

I priced most of the the DIY materials yesterday at walmart and it was about $30. The power head I found was rated for 300 gallons at about $10.

I'd probably have to mod the return valve for bettas, but would this be overkill for my tank?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OxFb3EeZ7l8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Why not a sump? It'll be cheaper & easier than the DIY. Also, very little chance of leakage.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'd rather stick with what I know. I did some research on sumps and it seems bulky and complicated.

I'm familiar with canisters and feel that I can properly make one.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
looks like a pretty cool idea.

let us know how it goes and post pics!

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sure no problem. Just waiting for my tax return so I can buy everything.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Almost every aquarium forum/group/whatever I've been on since the 90's has the topic of DIY cannister filters come up a couple times a year.

I've only seen one plan that looked like it would work, and it involved something like sections of 6-8" diameter pvc pipe, and was only cost effective because the person picked it up as scrap from a construction site. Cannister filters need to be able to withstand pretty decent pressure, and have really good seals. It's somewhat hard to do that with most DIY plans with out exceeding the cost of a commercial cannister filter.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Notice that the maker of that filter had it just a foot or two below the water level in the tank. That distance equals the pressure inside the filter container, which is not designed to withstand pressure. If you have that 3-4 feet below the top of the water in the tank it could spring a leak, and siphon all of the tank water out onto the floor!

Hoppy
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The one that The King of DIY has up on his youtube is a better design. If Schedule 40 3" PVC blows up you did something wrong. All told the media capacity is around 200g per Seachem and the pump without media has a flow rate of 500gph. not including the media cost me about 50 bucks including the pump. Then again I like making stuff myself even if it is only slightly more expensive for a commercial version that may or may not work better.

HOW TO: DIY Canister Filter
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

With all the things that can go wrong, maybe I'm better off spending the extra cash and getting a sun sun. At least I can return it then if something goes wrong :p
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmex View Post
With all the things that can go wrong, maybe I'm better off spending the extra cash and getting a sun sun. At least I can return it then if something goes wrong :p
Honestly, I'm a fan of DIY, but I think the canister filter is one area where commercial solutions seem like the best choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah. I really don't want my tank water to end up on the floor.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The factor that I usually see being ignored is the ease of use. Having a canister that drives you crazy every time you need to clean it is not a good way to enjoy the hobby.
Little things go wrong when you start to use them. Like how do you get the lid off the bucket? You have to turn it several times so do you take the intake off the tank and turn the whole tube or do you get out the screwdriver and remove the tubing from the lid?
At what point does this not sound like fun?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

None of that sounded fun. In fact, it sounded downright terrifying. LOL
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sometimes the little bugs are the worst bite.
Like not having a way to shut off the flow and disconnect the tubing from the tank to the bottom of the can. Does the guy clean the canister where it is now? I spill plenty of water as I do things and cleaning the canister in the living room is not gonna work!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 09:31 PM
Algae Grower

In my opinion if your are going to spend $50 on supplies, just get a sunsun canister. It the same price or just a little more for a larger one and would be way less headache. I love DIY and have built motorcycles, atvs, go karts, snowmobiles, and a pile of other stuff, but 50gal of water siphoning onto my floor is a no go.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode