DIY stand question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY stand question

I bought a 180Gal used aquarium (72"x 25" x 25' ) for $100 good deal right!? :-)...but it doesnt have a stand so i was thinking of making a stand for it, nothing to fancy just gonna follow the utube stand build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUwpLulBVxU

Another LFS is offering me a stand for my fish tank for $200 with canopy same as this, used but in perfect condition.

Here is my question, if i build the stand following the utube video would it cost me $200 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 09:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Part of the question has to be how much is your time worth per hour? (on top of cost of materials)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman View Post
Part of the question has to be how much is your time worth per hour? (on top of cost of materials)

i only work 3 days in week so pretty much time is not an issue,just the cost of materials

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

$200 seems reasonable, I would just go for that as building your own would come close to that mark with proper materials, plus this way you know it will hold the weight

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Eheim Prof 3, 2217, 2213 (Purigen only) + 350 Skim, Reeflex UV 800 | HC300A Chiller | 3xKessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + Aqua Medic Reactor1000 | DIY Fertz + 2 x Jabeo DP-4 | CAL AQUA LABSí Black Earth & GreenBase subst. + root tabs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Eheim 2217 + 2213 | Kessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + atomiser | DIY Fertz | ADA Africana + root tabs.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 09:32 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okedokey View Post
$200 seems reasonable, I would just go for that as building your own would come close to that mark with proper materials, plus this way you know it will hold the weight
Amazing how wood and other needed "materials" can quickly climb to $200.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I found one at CL but the widht is a little bit off, would that be okay?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/fuo/4874464491.html

my tank are 73" x 24 1/2" x 25"
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Nope, won't work. Stand is for an 18" deep tank, not a 24" deep tank. So close! If you found a ~24x72" stand like that that would be a great deal. I'd ask the seller what tank was on the stand in case it was for a 24x72" tank as that would be a great deal and save you a lot of work.

The frame that holds up the tank securely costs about $50 to build. Some 2x4s, glue and some screws are all you need and the glue is probably optional. The cladding and all that hardware can be the price of a sheet of cheap 1/4" ply to sky is the limit. I spent more on the cladding/doors than I did on the frame. Check the quality of the store bought stand. See any MDF/particle board, pass it by. Plywood is fine.

Don't use that video unless you add vertical 2x4s in the corners. The tank corners aren't sitting on uprights and that is where the best support needs to be.

I used this template for my 6x2x2 tank. As soon as all the 2x4s were together it was rigid and solid. Even though I didn't build it on level ground and was using huge numbers of shims to level it while working on the tank outside it came out perfectly level once put in the house. DIY stand thread from reef central

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 10:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
I would go with the Lfs stand. Unless you have a shot with the correct tools it would be pretty hard to make a stand look as good as that. It would probably cost you about 125ish dollars to build it if you end up using nice plywood and nice 2x4 and getting stain and polyurethane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tank journal =).
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...lon-Tank-Stand

Here is a DIY. I am not sure if this is what you want, but it is worth a look.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'd consider buying the stand. I'm normally pretty big on DIYing stands and such, but a stand that big will involve a lot of work, and a fair amount of materials. $200 sounds like a really good price for a stand like that - I'd just want to look at it and make sure it looks good and is sound.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 07:26 AM
Planted Member

You guys really over think your stands, mine cost me $30 to make for my 120g. $200 for a DIY stand... what is it made of gold. If I put all the bells and whistles on my stand I would be more like $60-70 into it.

RAOK Club Member #151
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 08:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I dunno mate, by the time you bought timber, fasteners, glue, paint etc to make it look non-ghetto, you'd be near $200. Plus I value my time

| Eheim Prof 3, 2217, 2213 (Purigen only) + 350 Skim, Reeflex UV 800 | HC300A Chiller | 3xKessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + Aqua Medic Reactor1000 | DIY Fertz + 2 x Jabeo DP-4 | CAL AQUA LABSí Black Earth & GreenBase subst. + root tabs

| Eheim 2217 + 2213 | Kessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + atomiser | DIY Fertz | ADA Africana + root tabs.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 03:24 PM
Planted Member

I build all my stands now and am moving on to racks, I luckily don't care about exposed on unpainted wood so I can be super cheap lol.

That cost me $30 and if I enclosed it, put doors on it, and painted it I mite be at $100. Only way I can see putting $200 into a DIY stand is if I have to buy tools. I also don't include my time cuz I got nothing but time. I had a sheet of plywood that I used to cover the back and top, planned to use cloth to hide the sump. Now I am going to run HOB filters and am thinking of putting 20g's under it.

RAOK Club Member #151
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankFreak420 View Post
You guys really over think your stands, mine cost me $30 to make for my 120g. $200 for a DIY stand... what is it made of gold. If I put all the bells and whistles on my stand I would be more like $60-70 into it.
Where I am a sheet of hardwood plywood is right at $50 last time I looked. 2x4s are about $3 each. Your at what 10 2x4s? Sheet and a half of plywood then some matching solid for the rails and stiles you're over $100. If I were to build a wood stand though there would be no 2x material ever. Doors and drawers I would add. Then stain and poly.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankFreak420 View Post
I build all my stands now and am moving on to racks, I luckily don't care about exposed on unpainted wood so I can be super cheap lol.

That cost me $30 and if I enclosed it, put doors on it, and painted it I mite be at $100. Only way I can see putting $200 into a DIY stand is if I have to buy tools. I also don't include my time cuz I got nothing but time. I had a sheet of plywood that I used to cover the back and top, planned to use cloth to hide the sump. Now I am going to run HOB filters and am thinking of putting 20g's under it.
That's a darn big and sturdy stand for one phone haha! 😜

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode