Diy inline dosing? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Diy inline dosing?

I saw this video and wanted to try with ferts

http://youtu.be/vJ0qNlJpymk

Has anyone else tried something like this? I'm thinking I would have to add an inline pump to get the flow rate back up after passing the venturi valve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Lots of DIY auto-dosers out there. Most involve some simple setup with an Arduino for very simple and reliable auto-dosing. The cheap EvilBay dosing pumps are only about $13 each, IIRC, plus a $15 Arduino and some small electronic parts.

No need for the fridge, just add some excel to a 2-4 week supply and it will stay fresh. Connect to a glass j-hook and avoid needing to mess with an inline connection that messes with your flow.

Here's mine (controlled by iAqua), design copied from AnotherHobby:

Threads:

Shift's Arduino auto dosser (simplest)

iAqua: My Touch Interface Aquarium Controller (Arduino) (WAY overkill, but awesome)

And MisterGreen is working on a web-enabled version but it's a work in progress:
Plug 'n play arduino controller, Arduino Green WEB Controller

There are others, but I've grown weary of cutting and pasting. Search "Arduino" for a ton of projects.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i was already planning on doing that but would prefer to dose in the filter line than tank. i posted the video because he guy was dosing foods directly into the line going through the fridge that returned to his sump

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 03:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious93 View Post
i was already planning on doing that but would prefer to dose in the filter line than tank. i posted the video because he guy was dosing foods directly into the line going through the fridge that returned to his sump
Yeah, that's an interesting take on it. Easier when you have PVC plumbing on a large tank, as opposed to just a simple canister filter. How big is your tank?

The one thing that bothers me about the inline setup is backflow. You're pushing into a pressurized water line. It's one thing when you're pushing high pressure co2 into a line via a reactor, but peristaltic dosing pumps aren't the most robust motors on the planet with the best seals, so I'd hate to come home to fert jars that are overflowing with backwashed tank water. (and dosing pumps usually aren't strong enough to overcome a check valve, so that's one common safety measure that's not available)

I could be way off base, and maybe it's not an issue at all, but it's just something that bothers me about the idea, at least as applied to my setup. Simpler to just deliver right to the tank.

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 03:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Is your filter syphon feed?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

bam!! there it is. already done by someone else. i went to home depot and got the parts already, making it more compact and with quick connect adapters for the dosing line. i'll post a new thread detailing the whole thing if it actually works well

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=557978&page=5

i suppose you could probably put an ATO line in there as well but then you still couldn't hide the float switch. now if i could figure out how to do that!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode