Very simple and useless Marineland Penguin filter mods. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Very simple and useless Marineland Penguin filter mods.

These two mods are for the Marineland Penguin 100, but I'm sure they would work with other filters too. I tried contacting Marineland about these mods, but they told me not using their cartridges results in the spontaneous explosion of your tanks and/or house.

Are you tired of paying for their overpriced cartridges? Are they so pricey that you're considering switching your investments from gold to Marineland cartridges? Then try this mini DIY project.

You will need polyester batting. I got this one from Wal-Mart. I found out that magically, it put the word "aquarium fiber" over it, it triples in value instantly. Huh, weird.

This is what it looks rolled out and badly cut by an amateur like myself.

You will also need very specialized and high quality scissors...That I purchased at the 99 cent store.

You will need rubber bands, to attach the polyester batting. And also to just give it that DIY look.

And finally, you will need a hand. Eyes are optional, but recommended.

Now, take your cartridge (gingerly please, as they are very valuable).

And rip out all the blue stuff until it more or less looks like this.

Now, if you want, you can make a cardboard cutout of the filter so that you will have a guide for cutting the polyester fiber. Here's mine. No, I wasn't drunk at the time I was cutting it.

Cut the polyester fiber to size, like this. No, this was not done by a trained monkey.

And attach it to the plastic cartridge by using rubber bands. Make sure it looks really DIY-ey, like mine.

Finally, congratulate yourself on being such a resourceful person, and wonder where your life has gone wrong where you are reduced to the point of saving money on filter cartridges.

The second and much more dubious DIY mini project involves using eggcrate to make another layer of mechanical filtration.
I noticed there was a space behind the filter cartridge where perhaps a piece of eggcrate with some polyester fiber would fit. So I tried, and lo and behold, it fit almost perfectly.

First, you're gonna need a piece of eggcrate 4 squares wide by 7 squares long. ( In case you're wondering, no, squares are not a scientifically accepted standard of measurement)

Make sure the edges are really smooth or it won't fit the space. I sanded mine because I'm a perfectionist...who uses rubber bands.

Cut a piece of polyester batting ( make sure it's not too thick or it won't fit the space). No, this wasn't cut by a kid with ADD.

And attach it to the eggcrate using the effective but painfully unattractive method of rubber bands.

Add it to the filter like shown in this picture, and you're finished wasting your time on an useless mod!

I am not responsible for any exploding houses or tanks that may occur from these DIY projects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Send a message via MSN to fishbguy1
omg...that was such a fun read! Thanks for making my day....haha

Make your tank explode...lmao Did they really say that?

65 gallon low tech planted
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Good idea on using the rubber bands. I've been doing my own HOB filter cartridges for years, but I always used fishing line. Rubber bands look much more fancy!

The eggcrate idea is also very good. I just used some extra sponge material I had laying around (clean of course), and cut to fit.

Well done!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Very creative. I recently retro'd all my Tetra and Whisper HOB filters along that line. I got needle point canvas from the craft store, cut it to fit the groove or slot in the filters and sliced down one giant size filter sponge to fit behind the needle point canvas. The plastic keeps the sponge back from the front of the filter, forcing the water path through the sponge instead of over the top of it. When the water is passing over the top, it's time to clean the sponge.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipuks View Post
These two mods are for the Marineland Penguin 100, but I'm sure they would work with other filters too. I tried contacting Marineland about these mods, but they told me not using their cartridges results in the spontaneous explosion of your tanks and/or house.

I am not responsible for any exploding houses or tanks that may occur from these DIY projects.
ROFL!!

Nice DIY

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
lol that was funny an usefull!!!! what did you do with the "bio fiber" that you put in front

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 01:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Technically, I think 'square' can be a unit, as in resistivity, as measured in ohms per square.

From http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictO.html:

Quote:
ohm per square
a unit of resistivity for surface films and other materials whose thicknesses are considered to be negligible. The resistivity of a very thin conductor is defined to be its resistance (in ohms) multiplied by its width and divided by its length. If the conductor is square in shape, then its length and width are the same and its resistivity is numerically equal to the resistance of the square, which is actually the same no matter what the size of the square is. Therefore the resistivity could be stated in ohms, but it is conventional to state it in "ohms per square." One can consider the square to have sides equal to one unit, the size of the unit being immaterial.

Great thread. Carry on.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 02:36 AM
FBG
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very nice DIY I will start doing this every time.

how much did the aquarium floss cost you?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thanks for all the responses. I didn't use any sponge material because I don't have any, but I'm sure it works as well if not better than the polyester batting. Glad you guys liked this DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbguy1 View Post
omg...that was such a fun read! Thanks for making my day....haha

Make your tank explode...lmao Did they really say that?
Nah, I didn't really call them. But that was a tongue in cheek joke on most manufacturer's claims that if you do not use their product, or attempt to do modify their product in anyway, bad things will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by connordude27 View Post
lol that was funny an usefull!!!! what did you do with the "bio fiber" that you put in front
You mean after it's used? I change them every once in a while, I don't really bother rinsing them since the bio-wheel holds most of the bacteria, and the polyester batting is cheap. Since I have two filters, I stagger the changes, just to be on the safe side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBG View Post
Very nice DIY I will start doing this every time.

how much did the aquarium floss cost you?
I think something like 5 bucks. It will last you a LONG time though. I chose that one because it comes in a sheet form, so it's not just a bundle of polyester. I use pretty thick layers, but if you use thinner ones, it will last you even longer. Make sure it's 100% polyester.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
oh you have the Bio wheel one... i have a cheapo aquatech one

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
where do you get the egg crate material?

thanks

20 gallon marineland kit

mason jar with flourite Java ferns and java moss and a ramshorn
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Home Depot has it in their lighting section. Big piece (I forgot the size) for like 12 bucks if i remember right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode