Overflow noise - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Overflow noise

Unfortunately, I didn't know bout overflow noise before I built mine... any idea how I could do a quick ez fix for an overflow like this? Two of the three I can't reach at all anymore xcept from under the tank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 08:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Try just slipping an air line down the pipe?From air to air(top to bottom?)
Once there is an open air line the water may stop gurgling?

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fish for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralbandit View Post
Try just slipping an air line down the pipe?From air to air(top to bottom?)
Once there is an open air line the water may stop gurgling?
Ya if I could pull it there is a chance it might fix it...
well the noise isn't all that bad but my stand isn't finished.. it's all open and the noise comes from in there so hopefully once it's all closed it will be barely noticeable!

Last edited by FwoGiZ; 01-31-2015 at 05:28 AM. Reason: .

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 03:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
im confused by the pic, is the drain through the bottom of the tank with a stand pipe up to near the top? if it is depending on how high it is if it runs full siphon it wont make any noise
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

not siphon.. it's all gravity fed
those angled overflows are 4.5in to keep water level at 4.5in.. I put them in an angle thinking it would be good enough to prevent the noise..
I think once the stand is finished with the pumps and all, I won't notice it anymore but thought I'd ask here see if there is an ez fix that I am unaware of!
I can't reach two of those overflows now cause they're sealed under the false bottom of the vivarium
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Could you push an airline up instead of pushing it down from the top?

Make a 'manhole' cover over those drains so you can tinker with them easier?

If you add a T to the drain you are supposed to be able to bleed off noisy air bubbles. Have the drain go horizontal, then add the T facing up? Not quite sure how bubbles are going to leave a column of fast moving water but you should be able to research and find out how this works for some people.

Maybe use that lumber or cardboard to block the stand to see if it really will dampen the sound enough. Maybe it will. Hard to work on sumps with the doors on so it would be nice to know if this is going to work first.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 07:19 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
my suggestion. the one u can get to cut off lower then the other 2 u will have to experiment on the lower one it will be full siphon meaning it will suck no air only water it will also flow a lot more than if it was also sucking water.

Adjust the valve on the full siphon overflow so the water is just trickling down the other 2 pipes, if u get it all set up correctly the water will stick to the walls of the pipe and u will have no sound what so ever,

its kinda a twist n the bean animal over flow, i have a 2 drain setup on my twelve gallon, lower drain is full siphon and higher drain just barely takes any water, it is absolutely silent.

Make sure the drains exist under water too.

be sure to remember to account for all the water that will enter into the sump when the return pump is off

Last edited by alpha1172; 02-01-2015 at 07:20 PM. Reason: addition info
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 07:30 PM
Planted Member

using a u shape like this cut a lot of the noise. dont forget to drill a hole for air on top of u shape will suck less water if water goes out

http://www.saltcorner.com/Articles/S...?articleID=142

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode