Tank Cover Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank Cover Help

I need a new cover for a 10 gallon. I prefer to cover my tanks because it's very dry here so I get too much evaporation. I like to be able to set lights on the lid, but I could also probably suspend them if that won't work. No hinge or fancy cutouts needed - I just want a solid clear sheet of something to set on top.

I'm tired of using purchased glass hoods because a) I have extremely hard water which eats away at the plastic bits as well as the glass and b) the opaque plastic hinge down the center limits the shapes of light fixtures I can use.

I was going to buy acrylic sheets and make a cover from that, but I've been reading that acrylic warps. I don't have the means to cut glass. I've actually resorted to sealing some tanks with plastic wrap, but that was for temporary/plants-only setups. Any ideas what I could use to make a lid?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 09:16 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Acrylic sheet do warp.

You can remove the plastic hinge on the glass covers. You don't need it.
You can also get pieces of glass from the hardware or glass store.

You can hinge the pieces yourself with silicone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHM3ldgdGl4
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That silicone hinge is brilliant! Maybe I'll disassemble my glass covers and silicone them together. Thanks for the idea.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 10:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
There's a recent thread (past week or two) on here about sliding glass covers that's pretty slick. No need for a hinge at all.

Personally, I just cut my own (I cut some last night, in fact). All you need is a sheet of glass (cheap at Lowe's or Home Depot) a $5 glass cutter, and a ruler. It's scary the first couple of times but it's pretty straightforward after that. Lots of YouTube videos if you want hand-holding, but it's really really straightforward and requires no fancy DIY skills. Oh, you need a piece of sandpaper or emery cloth to sand down the sharp edges after cutting. That's it, really.

Edit: Found it! Ok, old thread but recently bumped.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=42194

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 03:35 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I use polycarbonate (lexan) for my tops. They don't warp and you can cut them with a fine toothed saw.

HEY! Your sleeves are wet.

"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast."-Anonymous
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
I was going to suggest the sliding tops, but kman beat me to it.

|
| Mr Aqua 7.5 Cube Paludarium | Zoo Med Nano Tall & Small Tall Vivariums
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 03:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
For a ten I'd just get a piece of glass cut to fit minus an inch or two for back access. Dump food or ferts or whatever in the back. Gel superglue works great to attach the handle.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 04:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I have two 10g tanks. On the first I had a picture frame around that was scrounged
and was not exactly factory made which I scrounged for the glass...so...I cut it 2"
short of the length of the tank. On one end my heater line and air line go in.
The other end I can fiddle somewhat, just very little, in there/w tweezers etc.
On the second one I got two pieces cut which total 3" less than the full length.
The spaces are used mostly the same. I got this glass in 1/8" and two pieces because while washing the first it does make me a bit nervous for breaking it as it's thinner glass.
I use the Walmart "Lights-of-America" under-the-counter light fixture on one of them and it just sits on the top of the glass. I remove the translucent cover and use foil to cover it to reflect the light back into the tank.
Honestly I had better light when I had one of those brooder lamps over it/w a 13W CFL bulb in it. But a lot more of the light got out into the room.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just buy a glass top there cheap for 10 gallon.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feedback. For the future I'll definitely keep in mind the glass sliding lid idea. For now I'm going to silicone together pieces from existing covers in a normal hinged manner. I'll try to remember to post a photo if I accomplish anything.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonmkr View Post
I use polycarbonate (lexan) for my tops. They don't warp and you can cut them with a fine toothed saw.
Neonmkr- I was thinking of using this. It blocks uv rays. Do the plants need uv?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode