Freshwater sump/refugium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Freshwater sump/refugium?

'ello all! I am thinking of getting some sort of small, hang-on-back refugium/sump for my 29 gallon tank. This refugium/sump is meant to house some sort of small, live food (such as scuds) that will breed unimpeded, with some of the offspring entering the main tank and feeding the residents. Any suggestions on what kind of container could be used for this (I was thinking a mid/large sized box filter)? And are there any other organisms that would likely work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Bump...well, can anyone help me with this?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 05:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grah the great View Post
'ello all! I am thinking of getting some sort of small, hang-on-back refugium/sump for my 29 gallon tank. This refugium/sump is meant to house some sort of small, live food (such as scuds) that will breed unimpeded, with some of the offspring entering the main tank and feeding the residents. Any suggestions on what kind of container could be used for this (I was thinking a mid/large sized box filter)? And are there any other organisms that would likely work?
This product is interesting:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3618

And lists some typical foods that are grown in it (copepods and amphipods).

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 03:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Possibly an empty AC50/AC70 with an AC30 impeller would work as well.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So a simple HOB filter would work? Would someone put something other than the filter material in there for any inverts meant to breed in it?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 04:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Both finnex and CPR make HOB "refugiums".
Easy enough to see some of the features you like and DIY it I would think?
For breeding "pods" I would think you would want very slow,yet steady flow in the "fuge".
Far less however then any HOB unit sold with powerheads or "strong pumps".
I would look into whatever HOB "box" you like and then run it with a "Toms Aqua Lifter" pump".
Nice slow flow and no fear of chopping what your are trying to raise.I think one of the finnex units used something similar.

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fish for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralbandit View Post
Both finnex and CPR make HOB "refugiums".
Easy enough to see some of the features you like and DIY it I would think?
For breeding "pods" I would think you would want very slow,yet steady flow in the "fuge".
Far less however then any HOB unit sold with powerheads or "strong pumps".
I would look into whatever HOB "box" you like and then run it with a "Toms Aqua Lifter" pump".
Nice slow flow and no fear of chopping what your are trying to raise.I think one of the finnex units used something similar.
I would recommend this route. A HOB filter may work but even if you had a AC 70 and put an AC 20 impeller, that's still more flow than you likely would want. If you already have a HOB, you could always just not have it running and use a very small pump and some tubing to get water into a HOB, letting it just drain out as if it was running.

-Matt

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

For the sake of curiosity, what would one fill such a sump with to encourage small live food animals to thrive and reproduce?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 02:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grah the great View Post
For the sake of curiosity, what would one fill such a sump with to encourage small live food animals to thrive and reproduce?
I would go with some type of moss? Possibly even trying to grow algae on the sides.

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;

Fish for sale

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I think this would work/w an air pump. "They say" you can use a mechanical pump also but you want slow. I always use a two or three way gang valve in my air line so I can bleed off some if it's too fast. I'd put some fiberglass screen on the last baffle and only have one very small hole in it which they can get through.
A good size hand full of Hortworth in there sounds good. Would need a light.
I think Finnex sells one of these/w a light. Try Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Hang-On-Breeding-Box-Large/dp/B005QRDCP2/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422977711&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=marineland+breeder+box

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 12:27 PM

Freshwater refugium

About 6 weeks ago I placed a Finnex refugium on my 40 gallon planted tank. The small pump that comes with it provides a low flow that seems right for a refugium intended to cultivate food organisms.

I put Japanese maple leaves (the finely divided kind) into the partitions and let it "percolate" for about 2 weeks. At that point I added a package of various diapause eggs (moina, etc.). After a week or so I could see tiny dots swimming around in there. The flow seems to be low enough to not wash all of them into the tank which is what I wanted.

I just purchased some scuds and a moina/daphnia/etc. live culture (which will arrive in a few days) and will put these in as well.

Another thing that will go into the refugium are some pink ramshorn snails and some spike tail trumpet snails. A couple of years ago I added some assassin snails to the tank to control a rampant pond snail outbreak and they have done their job a little too well! I want to have some snails in there for my long arm shrimp but don't want to keep buying snails and don't want to set up a separate snail tank so we'll see how this works.

I figure I can scoop out snails into the main tank from time to time, and also stir up the water in the refugium to flush out some of the smaller critters.

The refugium is not lighted at this point, something I might consider in the future but not for right now.

So, currently the only "media" in the refugium is the Japanese maple leaves. Should I add some gravel or sand, do you think? And if so, which would be better? Of course I could always put sand in one part and gravel in another and see how things turn out!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode