T5HO bulbs and heat - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
T5HO bulbs and heat

I have built two lights that hold 4 36" t5HO bulbs. Currently I have a fan that blows through both lights. I run 4 bulbs most of the time with a burst where all 8 are on. I'm not liking the noise the fan creates.
How hot can the bulbs sustain? Does anyone make a good quite fan that only runs when temps get to hot? I'm using the Icecap ballats. Anyone use their fan they sale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Try using computer fans.
S-Flex, Noctua PF-12's for good flow and low silence, these fans are popular with computer enthusiast for their flow:noise ratio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks, I think I may even have some of them lying around.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
The bulbs themselves can handle pretty high temps, but if you remote mount the ballast(s) then you shouldn't have too much heat under the canopy.

I don't believe the bulbs produce much heat on their own. Depending on your canopy design, you might not even need a fan.

Thanks,
AndrewH

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The canopy is open on both ends and is made out of aluminum. The aluminum gets very hot when all eight bulbs are running. The ballasts are IceCaps and are down below in the cabinet. Maybe I'll try and measure the actual temps inside the canopy.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
IceCap makes a variable speed fan with a temp. sensor (as you know). I almost got one last summer for my canopy. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...68&pcatid=3868 I haven't used it personally, but have heard good things...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I bought some small 4 inch personal fans for $4. from Walmart and Target
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have thought about trying the IceCap variable speed fan. Might give that a try the next time I order something.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 03:06 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (25/100%)
IceCap overdrives the bulbs. The result is more light. Nice!

But also you get:

1. Much more heat
Normally T5HO don't make a lot of heat. I can put my hand on the reflector of each one of my T5HO lights and hold it as long as I care to.

2. Shortened life of the bulb
As if you care that it's going to be 2 years or 1 year. Why don't you care? Because of (3):

3. Crazy light spectrum
When overdriving a bulb the spectrum becomes what its was not meant to be. Buying a Giesemann Midday T5HO bulb and overdriving completely messes up what those German engineers worked hard to achieve. It's like buying a Porshe and hauling paving stone in it.

--Nikolay
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 05:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Very interesting to know!

Thanks,
AndrewH

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to jjp2
Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
3. Crazy light spectrum
When overdriving a bulb the spectrum becomes what its was not meant to be. Buying a Giesemann Midday T5HO bulb and overdriving completely messes up what those German engineers worked hard to achieve. It's like buying a Porshe and hauling paving stone in it.

--Nikolay
Interesting. Where did you come across this? Curious as I have the 2x80w TEKII kits, which have the workhorse 7 ballast that overdrives them, and the giesemann midday and aquablue bulbs.

Based on that, would any T5HO bulb give similar results when overdriven?

Thanks,

John

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode