Easiest and Cheapest DIY Stand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Easiest and Cheapest DIY Stand

20g long stand. Probably works for bigger too. Just add middle cinder blocks maybe.

Cinder blocks (x6) = $9
Cut 2x4x8 (3 piece 30in) = $3
Total: ~12

+ shelf (3/4in plywood board) = 10
Shelf Total: ~22

+ Sheet (???) Dunno, already had the sheet laying around.

:: I got the boards cut for free at home depot. Just ask, no tools required for this DIY ::

Warning: This is stable, however I wouldn't do this with rowdy kids (IE: WWE fans) or a crazy big dog on crack, or college frat roommate that always has parties.. other than that.. it's pretty safe. Might want a middle cinder block section for 55gallon. Make sure ALL FOUR corners of the tank are touching the wood or it will warp (the tank) over time and break the seams.. turning your room into a puddle biotope.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 12:31 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Black diamond blasting from tractor supply. Med grit. Oops, my old eyes read sand instead of stand

Last edited by jrill; 01-26-2015 at 06:26 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Congrats on finding the solution for college students. Many times we read that tanks have to be supported totally around the rime at the bottom but college folks prove every year that it is not true!
Another point that works in the favor of folks who move a lot is that all the parts are not only cheap but they can be moved in small parts that fit better when the car is crowded!

With the black cover, you now have the deluxe model!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks good. I built something like this but used 2x8s instead of 2x4s and a third set of cinder blocks for a 55. For those looking to not raise the tank in 8" block sections home depot sells 2" cap blocks and some even sell half height blocks. The stand will be getting plywood on the front and sides and when it is done it will look like a regular wood stand complete with doors and all yet it will feel a lot better then some cheap particle board stand from petco.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I used screen blocks and particle board 30 years ago for an 18" tall 20 gallon stand! I didn't even know about corners of tank over the vertical support back then. I think they were supported though. The biggest earthquake it went through was a 5, some water sloshed out but that was it. We were 10 miles east of epicenter, 10 miles south there were a number of homes badly damaged by that quake. Also survived toddlers, perhaps a better test of stability!

This type of stand is definitely a contender.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Not bad and definitely works. I didn't break the bank on my 2x4" table. But I also had a piece of 1" plywood lying around for the topper, which adds up if you have to buy it! Thank goodness for local warehouses.

I'd look into some sort of custom sheet for a cleaner look, if you know someone who can hem that up!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
My wife has some definite thoughts on how fabric should fall as she has done custom design work. There are times it should drag and there are times when it should not.
I would advice to not open that discussion because there never seems to be a "correct" answer! Even the dress designers for the red carpet in Hollywood have not decided yet!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Add a tube of construction adhesive and glue it all together! Still no sawing or hammering, but it is much more likely to survive college hijinks.

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode