just drilled the tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
just drilled the tank

whenever i would mention my intent to drill holes in the glass and use bulkhead fitings to plumb from underneath, fellow fishkeepers eyebrows would go up, they would think that i would have to be crazy. "wont it leak?" "youre going to drill the glass by hand?" everybody seemed to think that it sounded like a bad idea, and they said that they would be afraid to try because of the risks of cracking the tank.

I talked to people at the lfs, they didnt know anybody who would drill glass for pay. then i called a local reef shop, they didnt know either.

One thing that i have noticed is that everyone seems to be afraid of this, but yet all over the net are pics of drilled tanks that have the super clean, no equipment look, and videos of people drilling tanks. So i did what i always do, forgot about the naysayers, bought a pair of 1 7/8" glass hole saws and got to work.

i drilled about 12 holes in a 10 gallon tank for practice. the first 3 came out very junky, i cracked the glass a few times, until after about 8 holes it just came natural. the next 4 were easy.

Then moving up to the 1/2" glass, custom built 125.

Drilled one hole for about 20 minutes and popped through, no snags, no chips, it was close to perfect. Then the second one was a bit harder.
I switched to the new bit at this point and it is much easier to snag a fresh and sharp new bit than a smoothed out dull one. the upside is that cutting goes a lot faster. so i started the second, it took probably 5 minutes less to do the second because the bit was so much sharper. I did not realize how far through i was already when the bit busted through the last bit of glass right as i was shifting my weight a little bit and was still putting a slight amount of pressure on the drill. so that hole has some minor chipping, which goes into the glass about 4 mm from the edge of the hole on one part. I think it will be fine, at least im hoping.

I plan to use gaskets on both sides of the glass anyway.

I think i could have both holes perfect, but this is acually really easy to do and i am glad that i did it and everything turned out good.

So i encourage anybody who has been thinking of doing this to take the plunge and order those hole saws. order an extra so that you can use one to practice, and grab a 10 gallon tank and punch about 10 or 15 holes through it. then you will be ready to tackle any tank, the thin 1/8" glass is probably the hardest thing you can try to drill because it is so brittle that even a minor snag will crack it. So it's just that once you get the drill started on cutting the hole, you keep going and dont stop until you sink the bit all the way through. there is definetly a technique, and the one i used is to start at a slight angle at a medium speed, about 1500 rpm if i had to guess and just stick it right into the glass. once it sarts cutting you can slowly start to level it out. then you just let it cruise along at a speed just high enough so that the drill wont snag. and use only the weight of the drill, plus a tiny bit. then, as you see water start to leak out into the other side, you know youre getting close, so you hold the drill steady, and you speed up the drill slightly, and just let it go and pretend that you are trying to keep the drill hovering, weightless until the glass drops out through the other side. That's all there is to it.

I used the hose and set it up to where it would keep a slow flow of water flowing over the area. I used both hands to keep the drill steady, and i used a great corded power drill. i think a cordless drill would suck for this purpose. I have one that i bought around 2000, it is skil brand, i think i paid 30 dollars at osh for it. it has keyed chuck and plugs into the wall. to me this is the best kind. and it has seen heavy, heavy use, polished lots and lots of aluminum parts with it using a buffing wheel and compound, where it is being ran at full speed, until it gets so hot that i cant hold the handle anymore. that takes a long time. i have drilled thousands of holes and mixed concrete with it. So you can see that i abused and beat the crap out of this thing for 8 years and it still works 100% perfect, and i only paid 30 dollars for it. That is a hell of a bargain to me and i love my drill.

Discus, (The Other White Meat.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DiscusIt'sWhats4DinneR; 01-17-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
again, awesome. again, pics. this does sound cool and your already having me thinking of doing this for my 29 gallon for kicks.

10g- future shrimp wonderland/breeder

29g- in progress

A Pimp Named Eheim 350
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've drilled glass before. It is not difficult, you just have to be patient and let it slowly grind away without putting force into it. The thicker the glass, the better in my opinion.

Did you use a diamond tipped hole saw or a steel one with carbide powder?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Planted Member

I worked at Simon Pearce (http://simonpearce.com/) during college and we drilled glass all the time. One thing that helps is water and lots of it. It acts as a lubricant and also cools the glass (which can heat up considerably and cause cracks). Everything we did there was water lubricated.

Just take things slow and it should be a smooth process.

I made a set of glass knobs for a dresser by drilling out decanter stoppers and gluing in brass bolts, they look great!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Algae Grower

I drill all my tanks.

Just as an aside however, and why I don't like to drill the bottom isn't related to the actual act of drilling the bottom - It is because if you ever have to mess with the bulkhead, you got to drain the whole tank!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 06:31 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I agree with Taekwondodo. I prefer the back to be drilled instead of the bottom.

Last edited by bibbels; 01-19-2009 at 01:06 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

aquarium apocolypse. i just had to say that gave me a good chuckle. i was also wondering what osh is. i'm sure i'm embarrasing myself so forgive me. iv'e been looking for a good, cheap drill, since i dont own one and i need one for a few projects and many more to come. although the freedom of a cordless drill sounds nice, i'd rather have corded

10g- future shrimp wonderland/breeder

29g- in progress

A Pimp Named Eheim 350
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 04:08 PM

Beware of tempered glass bottoms. I always understood that the larger tanks use tempered glass, which can not be drilled. The tempered bottom glass must be drilled at the glass manufacturer.

I read some articles on drilling tanks, and most recommend making a water dam out of clay ( or something simular ), so the water stays where your drilling.

I am assuming you didnt drill the bottom on your 125?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 04:35 PM

Here are a couple of vid's on drilling a tank for those who'd like to see an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwc3o_rGmLg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMctXz7GraU
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 05:00 PM
rmc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
I make a guide from wood for drilling tanks and clamp another piece of wood on the opposite side. It holds lubricant and supports the glass so it doesn't break as easily. (Really helpful with thinner glass.)

Then you can really go overboard and do silly stuff like this.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
rmc- nice is that your fish room?

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 05:22 PM
rmc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
That's one small part of it. I have approx. 2000 sq ft of insanity.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 06:06 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Yeah, I just drilled a tank on thursday. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. OP, if you are a little scared of the chip, you can always drill a larger hole around the hole with a chip in it so that you can have a perfect hole with no chips, you would just need a bigger bulkhead.

-Chris

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLagoon View Post
Beware of tempered glass bottoms. I always understood that the larger tanks use tempered glass, which can not be drilled. The tempered bottom glass must be drilled at the glass manufacturer.

I read some articles on drilling tanks, and most recommend making a water dam out of clay ( or something simular ), so the water stays where your drilling.

I am assuming you didnt drill the bottom on your 125?
some do use tempered bottoms but others dont. mine has no tempered glass, and yes, i did drill the bottom.

but not im contemplating drilling more holes later on for some kind of auto water changer.

rmc, i like what you did with the template. things probably go a lot easier.

clwatkins, the chipping isnt so bad, im going to just leave it. it looks like the gasket will still seal fine and even if it doesnt i can add another gasket or use the gasket to seal on the outside. so i still have options.

Discus, (The Other White Meat.)

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 04:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc View Post
I make a guide from wood for drilling tanks and clamp another piece of wood on the opposite side. It holds lubricant and supports the glass so it doesn't break as easily. (Really helpful with thinner glass.)

Then you can really go overboard and do silly stuff like this.
Great photo to keep around! Next time you tell the wife you plan to buy another tank, and she gets peeved, just show her what "some people" keep in their living room

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode