Finnex Stingray 16 on Fluval Edge 6G - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Finnex Stingray 16 on Fluval Edge 6G

Just another Edge 6G upgrade

The 21 LED to 42 LED light (from Edge 12G) upgrade was unsatisfactory. The light is still concentrated in the middle and all the plants grow tall towards the center and nothing is visible on the sides of the tank because it is in shadows. So I decided to go with Finnex Stingray 16" which is actually physically little longer than 17" - I had trouble fitting the cover over it because it is little wider than the tank.

Ingredients:
Finnex Stingray16" http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Stingray-Aquarium-Light-16-Inch/dp/B00NAFQ97A/
Current USA Single Ramp timer http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Single-Timer-Aquarium/dp/B00FDV1AFA/
Fluval Edge 21 LED light http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Edge-Led-Gallon-Lamp/dp/B00A38Y73K/ (leftover from 42 LED upgrade)

5.5/2.1mm plugs and sockets for wiring.

1/4" black acrylic for modifying cover

JB Weld KwikWeld (FTW)

Dremel, hacksaws, soldering iron, etc etc.

I have cut and glued the acrylic sheets to extend the cover. Unfortunately the light was a little too long so I had to leave opening on one side for the light to fit.

I have cut off the original 21 LED light and used JB Weld to glue Finnex light in its place. Routed the cable in the original frame, down to the box in back on the aquarium, where it connects to the timer.

I think the end result looks pretty clean and the tank is lighted more evenly. The light now dumps over 10W of photons into the tanl. The original light had 0.4A/12V power supply, so at most it had 5W (doubtful). (Strangely enough both 42 and 21 LED Fluval Edge light uses the same PSU.)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EdgeFinnexCover.jpg
Views:	5863
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	418650  

Name:	EdgeFinnexOn.jpg
Views:	2836
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	418658  

Name:	EdgeFinnexDown.jpg
Views:	2582
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	418666  

Name:	EdgeFinnexUp.jpg
Views:	2634
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	418674  

Last edited by 0xDEADBEEF; 01-22-2015 at 11:43 AM. Reason: fixed title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 10:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nice job! You lose the sides, but at least you still have the front half of the top of the tank to look down into.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 06:19 PM
Algae Grower

I love the setup!

Do you have a co2 setup?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
can you post a shot from the front?

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplant View Post
I love the setup!

Do you have a co2 setup?
Yes, I use Fluval 88g system with UP AQUA UA-025S diffuser. I dose it manually a little every morning. I could never figure out how to set proper rate and once when I ran it too long the fish were panting heavily and swimming close to the top and I had to do emergency water change. ;-)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xDEADBEEF View Post
Yes, I use Fluval 88g system with UP AQUA UA-025S diffuser. I dose it manually a little every morning. I could never figure out how to set proper rate and once when I ran it too long the fish were panting heavily and swimming close to the top and I had to do emergency water change. ;-)
Time to look into a small paintball setup with a solenoid regulator and a timer.

|
|

|
|
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 03:52 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Where do you fit it in the small opening? seems impossible to me
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
can you post a shot from the front?
Sure, attached ;-)

I just spent 5 hours last night rescaping left 2/3rds of the tank. Everything had nice long roots. It was a mess. But Telanthera Cardinalis and Elodea was overgrowing the tank and smothering everything. Now I can even see the fish, especially otos, since they like to hide.

I have also replaced gunked AquaClear 20 with a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplant View Post
Where do you fit it in the small opening? seems impossible to me
The tank for the Fluval 88g CO2 is standing behing the aquarium. Just the co2 hose is routed through the compatment behind the tank.
I also have little Collar aPump air pump attached to the back (awesome product BTW http://www.amazon.com/Collar-aPump-Silent-Aquarium-gallons/dp/B00J7X5VZU/)

To make things easier, a while ago I have cut ~5x5 square hole in the back of the plastic compartment and made a velcro detachable cover for it. So I can detach it and reach into this compartment easily.

BTW, I have found one of my missing Tetra Neons. It was desiccated at the bottom of the compartment. Another fearless explorer ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Time to look into a small paintball setup with a solenoid regulator and a timer.
Is there anything that would work with these 88g cylinders? I don't have much space behind the tank and they warden (err, wife) is very particular about what goes on to the kitchen counter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EdgeFinnexFront.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	419442  

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
The tank for the Fluval 88g CO2 is standing behing the aquarium. Just the co2 hose is routed through the compatment behind the tank.

Is there anything that would work with these 88g cylinders? I don't have much space behind the tank and they warden (err, wife) is very particular about what goes on to the kitchen counter.
Hmm. I did see a thread recently where someone had modified a specific reg to actually fit inside the Edge back compartment, using standard 88g cartridges. If I think about it, I'll dig around for it.

BUT, IMO, the goal is to get away from those disposable cartridges, and onto a refillable tank with a reg that can be controlled on a timer. I think a small paintball rig could very well fit behind an Edge. I'll have to measure mine when I get home.

|
|

|
|
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am not particularly concerned about the price of these 88g/90g CO2 cartridges. They seem to be used for paintball, airsoft or airguns and quite plentiful and as cheap as $10/cart on Amazon. It is more expensive than refilling paintball bottle but small size matters for me.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I just measured. My paintball bottle is 3" around. The depth of the space behind an Edge is 3.5", so that fits comfortably. The entire rig is 15" tall, which is about 1/2" taller than the top of the hood. But that's with a 20oz bottle. If you used a http://www.amazon.com/Valken-Aluminum-DOT-TC-Paintball-16-Ounce/dp/B00BYHJVPS/ (or the even smaller http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Ounce-Aluminum-Paintball-Tank/dp/B000LSHR1Q/), it would be shorter, and the whole thing would definitely fit behind the Edge, easily. This is with the Aquatek Mini reg.

It's not necessarily about the price of the 88g bottles. It's about the ability to put it on a timer for consistency in dosage, and ease of use. The 20oz bottles last me 6-9 months on my 17 gal tank. You'd go a year or more between fills ($4) on a 6 gallon tank.

|
|

|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode