diy co2 disaster, help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
diy co2 disaster, help!

I have a single 2 liter bottle diy co2 system. Somehow the bottle tipped over and about a liter of sugar and yeist concentrated water was syphoned back into my 55 gallon aquarium. I removed the diy co2 and changed about 75% of my water but the tank is still as clouded as ever. I have some pretty hardy fish in there that are still alive but all the feeders have died and I fear they are on thier way out. What can I do to solve this problem.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 03:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Continue to do water changes and put granular activated carbon in the filter. Install a gas separator so that this will not happen in the future, securing the bottles with pipe strapping is also a good idea.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 04:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
The last time that happened to me it took a good week of daily 50%+ water changes before things normalized. Don't lose heart, you can beat it!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 06:34 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imeridian View Post
Continue to do water changes and put granular activated carbon in the filter. Install a gas separator so that this will not happen in the future, securing the bottles with pipe strapping is also a good idea.
X2. I have followed a lot of imeridian's advice and he hasn't let me down yet!

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Planted Member

so was your bottle above the tank? That seems like the only way it could siphon like that. I keep my bottles below the tank so if anything goes wrong tank water would flow back into the bottle instead of the other more yeasty result.

Lots of water changes are in your future.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

no, the bottle was under the tank in the stand. I have no idea how that much liquid traveled up and into the tank.

I couldn't wait it out. I saw this morning that a pleco and a crayfish were also amongst the dead and that my dempsey's mouths were getting clogged with a gooey white film. I took out all the water, rinsed the gravel and suctioned again. The tank does look clear now and if i can reacclimate the dempsey's to it without them bitting the dust i will be happy.

Thanks again for everyones help.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Keep an eye out on the gravel. If there's yeast left over there's a chance it can grow again. Also check your filter, make sure you don't have a culture starting there either.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Lnb
At 36,000'

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubvstudent View Post
I have a single 2 liter bottle diy co2 system. Somehow the bottle tipped over and about a liter of sugar and yeist concentrated water was syphoned back into my 55 gallon aquarium. I removed the diy co2 and changed about 75% of my water but the tank is still as clouded as ever. I have some pretty hardy fish in there that are still alive but all the feeders have died and I fear they are on thier way out. What can I do to solve this problem.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Do you have another tank??

If fish are dying the damage is pretty advanced. I would remove all the fish and temporary house them somewhere else. If this is your only tank I would find some clean clean buckets and put all the fish in there with an airstone. Then continue to do your water changes. Do not use buckets that has EVER been used with soap or detergents.

Your filter at this point may be clogged or have a good deal of the crap in it. That may need to be cleaned out.

What I have written is for the worse case scenario. Which may be the case since your fish are dying.

At this point your fish are better off in a bucket with clean water and an air stone or pump than in the tank. The fish can stay in the buckets for days as long as you do frequent water changes. Check your water parameters often. The fish will not be happy but they will be alive.

Invest in check valves! Keep us updated.

Eheim #293 ~ 2 x 2217 ~ 1 X 2215 *** Filstar #138 ~ XP 1 x 2
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Lnb
At 36,000'

Quote:
no, the bottle was under the tank in the stand. I have no idea how that much liquid traveled up and into the tank.

I couldn't wait it out. I saw this morning that a pleco and a crayfish were also amongst the dead and that my dempsey's mouths were getting clogged with a gooey white film. I took out all the water, rinsed the gravel and suctioned again. The tank does look clear now and if i can reacclimate the dempsey's to it without them bitting the dust i will be happy.

Thanks again for everyones help.
#1 Buy check valve
#2 The tank will probably cycle again ..... check water parameters OFTEN
#3 Check and clean your filter if necessary
#4 Buy check valve
#5 Buy check valve
#6 Write buy check valve 500 times

Good luck and keep us updated!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
A check valve isn't going to stop yeast mixture from entering the aquarium, as otherwise the co2 bubbles would also not enter the aquarium and he'd have a yeast bottle bomb. A properly oriented check valve will prevent the aquarium water from back siphoning out of the tank though.

A gas separator should be part of any DIY CO2 setup. This will 'catch' overflow from the CO2 bottle as well as prevent the tank from siphoning the solution. It is item two in this image.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
|

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Lnb
At 36,000'

Red face

Quote:
A check valve isn't going to stop yeast mixture from entering the aquarium, as otherwise the co2 bubbles would also not enter the aquarium and he'd have a yeast bottle bomb. A properly oriented check valve will prevent the aquarium water from back siphoning out of the tank though.

A gas separator should be part of any DIY CO2 setup. This will 'catch' overflow from the CO2 bottle as well as prevent the tank from siphoning the solution. It is item two in this image.
I stand corrected.

A senior moment but would this not have at least impeded the flow of yeast cocktail somewhat? Including Imeridian's link here is one that explains the correct way to set-up a DIY Co2 system http://agustiono-aquarium.blogspot.c...stems-for.html.

#1 (For me) write 500 times check valves are good for the opposite direction!

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
the check valves are good but i agree with Imeridian, you NEED to have a gas seperator. (which also acts like a bubble counter )

the reason the yeast made it that far was probably because the bottle tipped over or the yeast mixture went into the tube and the pressure created from the co2 pushed the yeast mixture up towards the tank. it doesn't matter if you have the bottle under the tank or above it, if the tube touches the mixture then it will flow into the tank because of the pressure.
i recommend doing daily water changes, although the bucket idea is abit radical if you don't see the fish improving then just clean out the filter and all the tank.

good luck, and start saving up for some pressurized system, you'll never turn back.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 12:25 AM
Lnb
At 36,000'

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
the check valves are good but i agree with Imeridian, you NEED to have a gas seperator. (which also acts like a bubble counter )
Yes, I made a boo boo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
i recommend doing daily water changes, although the bucket idea is abit radical if you don't see the fish improving then just clean out the filter and all the tank.

good luck, and start saving up for some pressurized system, you'll never turn back.
Quote:
I saw this morning that a pleco and a crayfish were also amongst the dead and that my dempsey's mouths were getting clogged with a gooey white film.
May be radical but if my fish were dying. I would put them in a bucket. Yeah, I'm just being super cautious. Hate seeing my fish die.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have another tank but it is filled with algea and snails so I put the fish in a 5 gallon container and reintroduced them to the tank when cleaned.
They are alive now and the tank is no longer clouded.
I have check valves but I find that when I interupt the diy co2 line with them they inhibate flow and create spikes/lows in co2 production.

I simply cannot afford a more reliable CO2 system, I'm a broke college student.

I now have some faith that the fish and plants will survive after they shed that white slime coating.

Thank you all for your replies.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 03:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
Quote:

I simply cannot afford a more reliable CO2 system, I'm a broke college student.
Thank you all for your replies.
thats good that your fishies are okay

hahah, it sounds horrible and my parents would kill me if they knew, but im using some of my scholarship money to buy my co2 equipment. pshh, who said i need a physics book instead of a regulator, thats crazy talk

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode