Desktop water spill barrier - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Desktop water spill barrier

I am setting up a small tank a work, and my desk has these convenient cutouts of power cords. The problem is that the cutouts are right above the power outlets. If the tank broke or had a major leak, water would almost certainly hit the outlet, especially since the back of the desk ends in a cubicle wall, so the water has one fewer side to escape. I need to protect the cutout from three sides with a simple barrier that I would either glue to the desk or that would hold on its own. The tank is only 3 gallons, so the barrier won't have to hold off a lot of water. Any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp Club Member #313
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 09:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
How about protecting the outlet with a cover, and make sure the cords all have drip loops....
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 11:30 AM

I had a similar situation at my office so if you have ample desk space you may be able to do the same.

I ran a power strip from the wall to tiny raised platform on the top of the desk (a monitor stand) where it was not directly above the outlet. Then it was easy to make a drip loop with the tank cables behind the desk on their way to the power strip.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 12:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Cut the top inch off of a solo cup or something of the sort and make a little round dam. I'm assuming the hole will be behind the tank so it really wouldn't be an eyesore.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Put the tank in a shallow tray or on something absorbent (towel...)
Look for a 'bubble cover'. This is in the electrical department of most hardware stores. There are different styles. Make sure you get one that allows the outlet to be in use when the cover is closed.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Or just lean a piece of plastic against the outlet, or for ultimate protection, silicon the plastic along the top edge. Water flows down, so it should be perfectly safe like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|

---------------------------------

|
|
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Great ideas, thank you! I think I'll do both: Build a little dam around the tank and glue/silicone a little cover over the outlet.

Pimp Club Member #313
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Could switch the outlet to a gfci too
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It doesn't take a lot to direct water so at times something as simple as a 1/4" bead of clear caulking to "nudge" the water toward the edge might help? That's assuming the whole tank doesn't burst!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode