How do I make this pallet stand? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do I make this pallet stand?

I LOVE the look of this and really want to make it for a 55 gallon aquarium I have. Only, I have no idea how. I have all the tools though and am looking for pallets.

Any ideas?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...f07ac8c197.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Start with a 2x stand and skin it with pallet wood.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 01:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
+1^^^ I would Make the stand like normal and then after rapping it with a thin sheet of plywood i would use a nail gun or wood glue to make the pattern that it shows in the picture.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would agree with the others posting. I can almost see where they have laid out the frame and put some bracing behind the door for framing.
Is building a stand something you've done before so that you would have then general idea of what makes a good frame?

What I'm asking about mainly is if you have the idea of letting the weight be supported top to bottom "wood on wood" and not supported by the fastener strength. Many miss that point and end up using long screws thinking they are really strong. Screws are good for not pulling out but they tend to have really poor shear strength to hold weight from the side.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyLcham View Post
+1^^^ I would Make the stand like normal and then after rapping it with a thin sheet of plywood i would use a nail gun or wood glue to make the pattern that it shows in the picture.
That's kind of relative. To me a "normal" stand (if I were to make a wood stand that would go in the house, which I never will) it would be a 3/4" plywood and not have a single 2x anyplace in it.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Yeah, you would make a frame and skin with pallet slats. However, if you don't have a clue how to begin, I'd ask someone you know to come help you. Two heads are better than one as long as they aren't butting...

Seriously though, you must know someone with some carpentry experience?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75g “Skull Island” | 5g Top Fin Engage | 3 gal vase

Zoo Med Small Tall Vivarium
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You could (if you were really good with a saw) make the internal stand (that really supports the tank) and then rip the pallet wood even thinner to make a thinner skin. Get by with fewer pallets that way.

I also see this as just a skin, the strips from the pallet are not the strength of the stand.

Now, pallets may be made with 2 x 4 or even larger lumber. If you can get them in really good condition this could be the source of the material for the 'real' stand. There are quite a few posts here about building stands. I know Planted Rich or others have made the point about the connections before.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ht=build+stand
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
You could (if you were really good with a saw) make the internal stand (that really supports the tank) and then rip the pallet wood even thinner to make a thinner skin. Get by with fewer pallets that way.

I also see this as just a skin, the strips from the pallet are not the strength of the stand.

Now, pallets may be made with 2 x 4 or even larger lumber. If you can get them in really good condition this could be the source of the material for the 'real' stand. There are quite a few posts here about building stands. I know Planted Rich or others have made the point about the connections before.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ht=build+stand
Without a band saw with a resaw blade it's a little harder than it sounds.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 10:08 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
That's kind of relative. To me a "normal" stand (if I were to make a wood stand that would go in the house, which I never will) it would be a 3/4" plywood and not have a single 2x anyplace in it.
That's how I make all my stands, I've never really understood why so many people that clearly have the tools to cut the panels for the plywood skin still insist on bulky frames.

PASO: Planted Aquarium Society of Ohio
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:

Facebook:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by datsunissan28 View Post
That's how I make all my stands, I've never really understood why so many people that clearly have the tools to cut the panels for the plywood skin still insist on bulky frames.
They lack the skills and knowledge to use the correct joinery and make them correct?

I've known folks with way better camera equipment than I have but they can't touch my work. Same with cabinetry.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I make a solid frame but it is not due to a lack of tools or experience with wood. I want a solid stand because I have had to move them at times. A solid frame lets me lower the water without total teardown, pry the stand up and roll it where I want it. Being heavy is an acceptable point on my stands. None are so heavy that they can't be moved but they are strong enough to support the weight without twisting or bending. Plywood only stands may not.
This is a 75 which I set up to hold some breeding females and fry for a short time when I knew I wanted to move it in a couple months. There is a model RR layout to the left.

Leaving it on rollers was a logical choice as I knew the stand could handle it. Building strong can be done cheaper and it can give you options that lightweight does not. I have slab floors and I know that they are not totally straight, true and level but if I have a strong stand the floor is not the problem of warping that a lighter stand might be. The total picture has to be considered before deciding which fits you best.

As it turns out the RR has stayed longer than planned and the fry have come and gone but the tank and stand are still on rollers!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 05:01 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I don't see a problem with a solid 2x frame either. I have it so the back of the stand isn't skinned. Way better with all the wires and tubes going everywhere.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I make a solid frame but it is not due to a lack of tools or experience with wood. I want a solid stand because I have had to move them at times. A solid frame lets me lower the water without total teardown, pry the stand up and roll it where I want it. Being heavy is an acceptable point on my stands. None are so heavy that they can't be moved but they are strong enough to support the weight without twisting or bending. Plywood only stands may not.
This is a 75 which I set up to hold some breeding females and fry for a short time when I knew I wanted to move it in a couple months. There is a model RR layout to the left.

Leaving it on rollers was a logical choice as I knew the stand could handle it. Building strong can be done cheaper and it can give you options that lightweight does not. I have slab floors and I know that they are not totally straight, true and level but if I have a strong stand the floor is not the problem of warping that a lighter stand might be. The total picture has to be considered before deciding which fits you best.

As it turns out the RR has stayed longer than planned and the fry have come and gone but the tank and stand are still on rollers!
That's all I can see in your post. It needs pictures.

Another of my many hobbies.

Rich, done correctly a plywood stand can do the same thing. If someone is more comfortable doing it with 2x then proceed. It will look good from my house.
I know this much. The cabinets I build can take being dropped 4 feet without any damage. Don't ask how I know that though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode