Planted+ dimmer (warranty voiding, picture heavy) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
Update:

This past weekend I swapped out the dial dimmer for an IR remote controlled one..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Prior to doing that I used my kill-a-watt meter to measure the power consumption, and I'd been running the dimmer at 90%.
Cool.. I've tried to get some that did the same to a Beamswork to "fess up".
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=834218
Probably should have started it in the DIY area..

now all you have to do is add some color bars..

Have you spooked your fish w/ the "stoboflash feature".. LOL

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Cool.. I've tried to get some that did the same to a Beamswork to "fess up".
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=834218
Yeah, I know and participated in your thread a bit.. I like the idea.

Quote:
now all you have to do is add some color bars..
To be honest, my current plans are to get a second fixture that has color adjustment (probably a 24/7 when I can get my hands on one), and to control both dimmers with an ardiuno using IR. Hence, the switch to an IR controlled dimmer for the Planted+.

The main reason for a second fixture is to try and fix some of my light spread issues.. The 36bow gets pretty shadowy in some parts of the tank. Rather than run one fixture at 90%, I'll start off running 2 at about 50-40%.

Quote:
Have you spooked your fish w/ the "stoboflash feature".. LOL
Lol, no... I haven't even tried it at all... maybe some evening I'll pull the fixture off the tank and try it out while I'm playing with the arduino control.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So, I've done a bit of work starting to figure out the Supernight dimmer's IR protocol...

Using an IR receiver and some code from:
http://playground.arduino.cc/Code/InfraredReceivers

I went and captured and graphed the keys..

The protcol is interesting in that it starts with a 4.456ms high, followed by a very short .616ms low. It also appears to be encoded using pulses of variable high-time periods.. all the lows appear to be the same .616ms low. Highs are either .616 or something around 2.5x that long (1.6ms)...

This doesn't really fit with any protocols I've seen graphed out, but it isn't too far off from the sony protocol, other than the start being about twice as long..

Fun things to figure out....

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 12:17 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
I just on a lark cut up one of my finnex lights and was able to hook it up to a current ramp timer without even taking it apart.. I just used one of those DC plug adapters with screw terminals (I have a bunch laying around already - and I did check the polarity of the light's wiring before hooking it up). Not quite as elegant solution as adding a jack to the housing, but it was quick and easy and I didn't have to source any parts to make it happen

I'm actually happy it was so simple... that means I may put some of my other finnex lights bakc into service rather than having them collect dust.
I am glad to here that the pairing of a finnex planted plus light and a current usa ramp timer worked for you. I am planning on doing the same thing.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I've decided to create a new thread for my attempts to convert this to arduino controlled IR...

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh....php?p=7622153

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 06:50 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
FYI anyone searching about modding their Finnex Ray2 and finding this thread:

I pulled apart my brand new Ray2 (pulled the end cap off to expose the wires). This model has the AC-DC transformer packed into the frame instead of using a power brick.

The lights (my 24") draw around ~68V, which is too much for the MeanWell LDD LED drivers that I've used in the past.

I am not an electrical engineer, so I don't know where to go from here. Just reporting my findings.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
It has been about a year since these mods were started. How are they working now? I would like to be able to dim my 36 inch Planted +, but not if it fails after a few months.

Hoppy
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Still going strong.

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 04:12 AM
Algae Grower

I have a Planted+ 12" on a 12" cube aquarium and got to thinking about how to dim it. Instead of modding the light, I was curious if it would be safe to use something like this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.c...000720944.html

I already have numerous Caseta switches and the control unit and have been running these lamp dimmers with 100w CREE LED bulbs for a while now. I got to thinking that one of these might work for dimming a Planted+. I could then create a number of "scenes" which would raise/lower the brightness on a specific schedule. I guess my concern is using this and overheating the Finnex AC adapter (I believe there is even a warning about this in the Caseta user manual).

Thanks for this guide btw, it's probably the route I'll have to go because of the transformer on the Finnex.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 05:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalfiend View Post
I have a Planted+ 12" on a 12" cube aquarium and got to thinking about how to dim it. Instead of modding the light, I was curious if it would be safe to use something like this:

I already have numerous Caseta switches and the control unit and have been running these lamp dimmers with 100w CREE LED bulbs for a while now. I got to thinking that one of these might work for dimming a Planted+. I could then create a number of "scenes" which would raise/lower the brightness on a specific schedule. I guess my concern is using this and overheating the Finnex AC adapter (I believe there is even a warning about this in the Caseta user manual).

Thanks for this guide btw, it's probably the route I'll have to go because of the transformer on the Finnex.
Even if it worked (which I doubt)
Why when for 1/2 the price you can just stck this beween the power supply and light..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 02:55 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
It has been about a year since these mods were started. How are they working now? I would like to be able to dim my 36 inch Planted +, but not if it fails after a few months.
My hack of the Finnex Planted + has been going for several months with no issues. I honestly think it will run until an LED burns out on the light. What I really like about the setup now that it is done is if I want to make a change, I call up the computer program - make the adjustment (say I want the white LEDs at 60% instead of 75% and the red LEDs at 100% instead of 80%), plug in the light to the computer and hit upload. Seriously takes under a minute.

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 03:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I've had a dimmer on mine for just short of a year with no issues at all.

I actually got the idea from THIS THREAD and i modified it slightly so the fixture has a pigtail instead of connector plug. If you'd like I can take some pictures

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalfiend View Post

The fixture is probably not dimmable by triacing the ac mains. If it was, I would not have modded it.

That dimmer uses a triac to cut ac power on and off really fast. It works perfectly with incandescent bulbs, but leds need a power supply to run of ac, and that supply needs to be designed differently (and a bit more costly) to work with a triac dimmer. Usually if a company has done this, they point it out.

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode