DIY canister filter, Improved easy to use lid. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Post DIY canister filter, Improved easy to use lid.

I made this canister to use on my 29 g. Have a couple questions. I picked up a pump at Lowes, but its to loud to use. I'm looking at a Quiet One 1200 I can get at a pet store here. The pump runs 296 gph, do you think this will be enough? Has anyone used this pump, is it realy quiet? Should I be looking at another pump?

I've put 2 scrubers an filter floss in it, Would you add any thing else?

Put this with my tank journal, an didnt get a reply. Would like to here what you all think, even if you just wanna tell me I off my rocker for making a diy canister.

Brion
29 gal journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

55 gal low tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brion0; 01-29-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't really have anything to add, but I want to say...

That can is sick bro, looks like a space shuttle. Hows it working with the loud pump?

Eheim Pimp #347
aka
The 347 Pimp

post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Sarge,

Kinda sounds like one to.

It seemed like it worked good, I've only ran it in the tub so far. If I hoked it up in the living room my wife wouldnt be to happy with me. I plan on painting it black when I get it working.

Brion
29 gal journal

55 gal low tech

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

i had plans for doing the same thing and wanted to use the same pump. i went to a lfs and they told me it was too weak and the water would only be trickling out. it depends on how big the housing, media, tubing size, amount of corners etc... the guy at the lfs was showing me the big models of the quiteones. expensive. most big commercial canisters have big pumps. the guy may have been trying to rip me off but i dropped my plans for my 30g and im going to build one for my 10g. let me know if you figure it out.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via AIM to chuukus
Sweet, What is that some kind of square pvc? I know ive seen that stuff before but my mind is drawing a blank.

I would look for some open cell sponge that will fit nicely in there or just buy it in sheets cut to fit and stack them up.

The other day I searched the web for DIY canisters and yours get an A++. Good job, I hope you dont get mad if I use your general idea to build one. I dont see why the
Quiet one 1200 wont do the job. Thats the same pump they use to run the rainbow lifeguard modular filters. You can buy that pump online for about 30 bucks and all the reviews I read are great.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
are you able to open the canister for maintenance? I see you have a plug at the top but it looks like it's cemented in. The problem that people have found making diy canisters is to be accessible. Although I could be wrong. And also, could you tell me why you chose to put the inlet and outlet both at the bottom instead of one at the top and one at the bottom on the side?
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuukus View Post
Sweet, What is that some kind of square pvc? I know ive seen that stuff before but my mind is drawing a blank.

I would look for some open cell sponge that will fit nicely in there or just buy it in sheets cut to fit and stack them up.

The other day I searched the web for DIY canisters and yours get an A++. Good job, I hope you dont get mad if I use your general idea to build one. I dont see why the
Quiet one 1200 wont do the job. Thats the same pump they use to run the rainbow lifeguard modular filters. You can buy that pump online for about 30 bucks and all the reviews I read are great.
Its a 5x5 vinyl post, you can get one 8' long at H.D. for around $20.

Ill look into a sponge. I also did a search, The only one that looked like it might work was on Monster fish keeper. This one is based on it. Use the idea if you want, just dont blame me if it floods your house. I plan on using a intake that only goes into the tank a couple of inches, for a few weeks. That way it cant drain the entire tank, if it does start to leak.

That pump is around $40 w/tax in the store here. Thanks for telling me a little more about it.

Brion

Brion
29 gal journal

55 gal low tech

post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haagenize View Post
are you able to open the canister for maintenance? I see you have a plug at the top but it looks like it's cemented in. The problem that people have found making diy canisters is to be accessible. Although I could be wrong. And also, could you tell me why you chose to put the inlet and outlet both at the bottom instead of one at the top and one at the bottom on the side?
This is a pic of the lid, it is a 4" clean out. Im going to glue tabs to the top so I can open it with out a pipe wrench. I used teflon tape to seal the threads.

If you look the out flow comes to the top inside. I wanted to keep it uniform, also wanted to brace both pipes so the seals wouldnt break when I put the tubes on. I did want to put the pump inside, but if I cant find an easy way to remove it,to get to the media, may end up outside.

Happy to answer your questions,

Brion

Brion
29 gal journal

55 gal low tech

post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 06:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
Wow that's some creativity. Awesome job.. Can't wait for more pics.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 06:31 AM

PTrader: (4/100%)
Awesome can't wait to see it finished
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 07:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
You could use a bulk head at the bottome 3/4" TXT and then use a pump like the Mag Drive pump. You can use those external. That way you could still get to the pump and fit even more media in the container. Looks good.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Very nifty. How much $$ have you spent on it?

post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brion0 View Post
This is a pic of the lid, it is a 4" clean out. Im going to glue tabs to the top so I can open it with out a pipe wrench. I used teflon tape to seal the threads.

If you look the out flow comes to the top inside. I wanted to keep it uniform, also wanted to brace both pipes so the seals wouldnt break when I put the tubes on. I did want to put the pump inside, but if I cant find an easy way to remove it,to get to the media, may end up outside.

Happy to answer your questions,

Brion
Hmm I see, yeah I thought if you used a screw cap at the top, that it would require plenty of work to get it off, as it has to be screwed in tight. I have researched this a little before because I wanted to put a fuge inside with macroalgae with clear pvc, but I stopped as I switched to freshwater. But I found the best choice would be to put a union towards the top, but I haven't found any unions bigger then 2" so far and those are like $12 at the cheapest which is a lot. Although in what I'm doing, 2" might work :P

Good luck in your project, I want to see it work
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Wow that's some creativity. Awesome job.. Can't wait for more pics
Thanks
Quote:
You could use a bulk head at the bottome 3/4" TXT and then use a pump like the Mag Drive pump. You can use those external. That way you could still get to the pump and fit even more media in the container. Looks good.
Think this is what im leaning toward.
Quote:
Very nifty. How much $$ have you spent on it?
Just under $60, that includes tubing, enough parts to make the intake,spray bar,an a inline heater like the one eyebeatbadger made. The pump I planed on using was on clearence at Lowes for $8.99. Ill cut the cord off an use it for my lights, so its not a total loss. After I get another pump it will have around $90 into the whole project.
I did spend quite a few hours putting thing together. If I was paid for my time,could have bought a nice filter. I enjoy fabricating, an Ive been home alot lately, so its good to keep me busy.

Thanks for the kind words an questions,
Brion.

Brion
29 gal journal

55 gal low tech

post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Haagenize,
Quote:
Hmm I see, yeah I thought if you used a screw cap at the top, that it would require plenty of work to get it off, as it has to be screwed in tight. I have researched this a little before because I wanted to put a fuge inside with macroalgae with clear pvc, but I stopped as I switched to freshwater. But I found the best choice would be to put a union towards the top, but I haven't found any unions bigger then 2" so far and those are like $12 at the cheapest which is a lot. Although in what I'm doing, 2" might work :P

Good luck in your project, I want to see it work
Yes, it could be a pain to remove, certainly not as easy as a store bought one. I do plan on adding to the lid, so it works like a wing nut. I thought of making a lid would snap on or use some sort of clip. But the sewer clean out cost around $6, an I knew it would give me a tight seal. An with a little teflon tap it seals in a few turns. Another thing I thought about was looking at the millitary surplus store here, last time I was their they had a bunch of water tight containers. One of them may haved worked well, if I make another Ill go look at them first.

Ill get it hooked up in a week or so, an put up some more pics, tell you all how its working.

Brion

Brion
29 gal journal

55 gal low tech

Tags
diy filter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode