My New rex style co2 Diffuser - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
My New rex style co2 Diffuser

Decided to modify the rex reactor with tubing from the local home depot. I used some acrylic tube with pvc end pieces to connect it inline. Dissolved a 2 inch pocket of co2 in a few minutes time. Here are some pics.

After the co2 kicks on ill report back on the efficiency.

Last edited by ccLansman; 12-30-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 05:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Whats inside of it for disturbance?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

I just use the return from my eheim 2026 and it seems to get the job done, no media of any kind. I had a 13" reactor but bubbles would start leaking out about an hour into the day. With this one only a few micro sized bubbles come out and not until the end of the day. I did noticed way more pearling about an hour after lights on.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Interesting.... I'll be wondering how that works. Please keep this thread updated!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
i don't really see what's all that different other than the fact that it seems as though the main body is a differing material than standard PVC pipe. can you please fill me in on what i'm missing here...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Well its not night and day different, i guess i could have worded the title differently. I meant it was new for me

You are correct, its not pvc and i chose straight barbs for my connectors. I also simply added a barbed connector for the co2 injection point.

I just wanted a clear reactor so i could see a bit of the action, also its cheap compared to the clear pvc which is difficult to get. All home depot stores should have the parts i used, total cost was $12 + $4 for the 1/2 hose barbs that i already had. You could do it for $12 with the barbs if you went with all plastic ones.

One bonus is the fact that the tubing is not super rigid so you have a lot more flexibility in placement. As well as eliminate the need for the 90degree barbs that add head room on pump, with the bent tube i can go straight in.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The big difference is the main body of the reactor. I still can't tell just what it is, but it appears to be a piece of semi-transparent hose. And, the diameter seems small. Tell us some more, and what size tank it is for.

Hoppy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

The inside diameter is 1-1/2, the tubing was labeled high pressure tubing. Its two layers of transparent high grade rubber with pvc thread woven into it. I would have liked no threads but the only one without them was only 1/2 inside diameter. The tubing was on the plumbing isle at home depot with the rest of the connectors and various tubes.

Im using it on my 60gal. It shredded a two inch pocked of co2 in a matter of minutes. So i would have to say so far it appears extremely efficient. I will keep a closer eye on it today and see if can post any more results.

edit:: changed the title, so there is less confusion.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
This is still a simple device, but you made it even more cheaply. I haven't seen that size hose before, but I would think it would work very well. And, it is certainly strong enough for the 2 psi or so pressure we deal with.

Hoppy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
I use that same type of hose, but in 1 inch, when I plumbed my 135. It's relatively cheap, flexible, easy to work with, durable and available at most Home Depots. I did a similar thing except I used a T to push the CO2 into my return before my UV (Tom Barr has a thread on this). I get good saturation plus misting of small bubbles in my tank. I can drop my CO2 a full point in 45 minutes with a bps of 4-5.

John

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode