DIY Co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Co2

1 of the concerns I had after looking at many of the DIY's using plastic bottles was the pressure buildup that could yes, explode when least expected.

So, my setup is using 1liter & 500ml aluminum bottles so that when I turn it off I'm not loosing Co2. I've also added a shutoff valve and a bleeder value that escapes when I want an extra boost for my non-aquarium plants.

My mix
1 cup organic raw cane sugar
1 cup hot water
1 tablespoon baking soda

1 tablespoon Active yeast
1/2 cup warm water

Collector bottle 3/4 cold water

Using an caged air-stone that sits just under outflow pipe. I run this for 8 to 10 hours with a trickle bubble. So far it has been running for 7 days now and still a lot of pressurized gas.

I'm using this in my first ever aquascape (100 gallon) that's dedicated to one of my wife's most favorite films - Avatar (almost ready for a showing once I get all my pics and data together). This is installed in my basement where I also have a custom made 440 gallon KOI pond/waterfall. Some say must be really humid and no not really. The offshoot of humidity has our house at a comfortable 30 to 37% humidity level. I've also added grow LED's outside of the tank structures to support growth of house plants, salads and herbs. The basement area also serves as our workout/meditation area where the lighting, aquascape and koi pond create a very wonderful visual world of harmony and relaxation. Most visitors last 10 minutes before they dose off if not active.

As you see from the short video it produces quite a lot during a test that only opened 1/64 of the valve. So lots of pressure is very possible using aluminum as you can see, and simply stated, it looks cleaner & classier IMO.

So out of the mancave to bring a little light into an exploration of nature's beauty and might.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01918b02329a2a799f0992986e10dcd416806b96d6.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	412986  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0157e77f107f1b7c1bb1f19e15ac9d168d63b9528a.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	412994  

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 01a19e051fb989187922c3fa80473ed23ff094daf3.mp4 (1.65 MB, 37 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 12:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
My only concern over letting pressure build up is simple. "a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link". Same goes for a vessel. Your bottles most likely won't explode, but the caps are still plastic. Build enough pressure up and they may pop right off. I get that they are threaded on and all but still. Back in my mischief days we'd mix a little bit of this and a little bit of that and make glass/plastic bottles make a loud BANG when the pressure built enough to pop them. Sometimes the glass bottles with the metal caps would blow the cap instead of the whole bottle exploding. An aluminum threaded cap on glass threads is much stronger than plastic threads. I'd leave that vent tube open at night if I were you.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

True, but

Thanks for your feedback. Seeing that for almost a week there has been nothing, not even a seepage not sure that it could end up as this. These bottles are used for shipment of volatile liquids such as essential oils that during exportation go through a varying degree of pressure change, especially in flight. The caps are abs, thus stronger then mere plastic of which if plastic is used with essential oils it would melt/eat through it. These caps also have a lockdown and I also added threading tape to make them even more secure with an airtight seal. In a test I did with the same mix, I left it for 24 hours in another room and shook the hell of of the bottle every few hours and nothing popped. When I opened the value a hair you could here the hissing of gas and as stated it has a trickle valve that once a certain pressure builds does bleed off but does not affect the overall loss of a majority Co2.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 01:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I didn't catch the part about the blow off valve my apologies!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

No Worries

It's the feedback that helps not oversee issues that could be devastating. I really appreciate any and all feedback, even if I tend to be a little headstrong

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode