Koralia for CO2 diffusion - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Koralia for CO2 diffusion

I'm in the process of setting up DIY CO2 on my 38 gallon planted aquarium. Right now I use a koralia mini for a little extra flow in the tank and a fluval 205 for the filter. Would it be a good idea to set the output of the CO2 right under the koralia and try to let the impeller chop up the bubbles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
i would stick into the intake for the 205.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
The koralia is basically a fan that blows water with the propeller inside the housing, so unless you get the CO2 into the housing where the propeller can "chop" the bubbles, it won't be a great diffusion method.

If your koralia is low in the tank and your CO2 bubbles are small, it will disburse it throughout the tank, but not really chop the bubbles smaller or aid in absorbtion.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imrandy85 View Post
I'm in the process of setting up DIY CO2 on my 38 gallon planted aquarium. Right now I use a koralia mini for a little extra flow in the tank and a fluval 205 for the filter. Would it be a good idea to set the output of the CO2 right under the koralia and try to let the impeller chop up the bubbles?
I use a CO2 Reactor 200 (with Rio pump) I purchased from aquariumplants.com which seems to do a nice job on its own but some larger CO2 bubbles do tend to stick underneath the sponge. Every now and then I see those bigger bubbles pop out from underneath the reactor and head for the surface. I didn't plan this, but I have a Koralia mini right above the reactor for circulation and when those bubbles hit the mini it chops them up really well. However, I would agree with the other posters that you wouldn't want to use this as a primary reactor. Once the bubbles are chopped up, they just go straight to the surface - the mini doesn't seem powerful enough to chop and circulate simultaneously.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so I should just stick the output of the CO2 right under the intake of the filter and that will help the CO2 absorb into the water?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
so I should just stick the output of the CO2 right under the intake of the filter and that will help the CO2 absorb into the water?
When I was doing DIY CO2, I did exactly that (with an airstone on the CO2 output), with a fluval 404. Seemed to work fine. However, I did eventually need to replace the impeller on the fluval. I can't say for sure that the bubbles were the cause of that, but I think I read somewhere that introducing bubbles into your filter can be hard on the moving parts. Something to think about.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 12:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Actually, you want to put it directly into the filter's intake, bascially making the filter in a reactor.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 04:50 AM
ER9
Planted Tank Obsessed

i put my diffusor under my koralia nano and every couple of days it gets jammed up (cavitation?) and wont turn on. i have to pull it out of its mount and shake it to get it going. when i move my koralia away from my diffusor so no co2 bubbles get in it...the problem goes away.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode