Cerges reactor - 10" or 20" housing? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cerges reactor - 10" or 20" housing?

Hi guys,

Two questions actually:

1) I'm about to order a housing to build the cerges reactor. What is the use of the pressure release button?

2) Should I get the 10" housing or 20" housing? There's a significant difference in price but my criteria is that there are no microbubbles being injected into the tank...Is 10" sufficient? Perhaps with some kind of media/sponge/ceramic diffuser?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 09:56 AM
Algae Grower

Maybe you could tell us a bit more about the tank and what will be pushing water through the reactor?

Adam
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 11:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
The pressure release button is for when you have to open the housing for filter changes during normal household use. Mine does not have one. I'd imagine you could use it to burp the air out as your canister fills it. The longer the housing, the less chance you'll have bubbles. Yes I would fill it with something like sponge. I put a big old sponge filter in mine. Anything you add will also double as increased biological filtration anyhow, but may further reduce flow. As for micro bubbles, I couldn't tell you yet as my substrate is still releasing air, this is a new tank.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay thanks for the input guys.

My tank's 50 gallon with 2 x Eheim 2217...One will be used for this reactor. Heavily planted high-tech.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I have a rio 2500 pump pushing uncountable bubbles through an empty 20" housing. Accounting for head loss the pump is probably pushing 300-400gph. I do see a few bubbles through 6' of water I think are from the Cerges but they aren't a bother. If you have the room and the price is about the same I'd go with the taller unit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
+1 for a 20" reactor. IME the griggs-style works a little better though.

Pressure release button is useless.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 12:51 PM
Algae Grower

I found the pressure release button is handy for bleeding out the air when you connect it all up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode