low iron glass - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
low iron glass

I think im going to go wth low iron glass but i dont want to do the whole tank in it so i was wondering if anyone has ever done just the front and sides with it, and if this is ok. Also would have have to change the thickness of the glass if i used low iron or would it be the same still?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treyLcham View Post
I think im going to go wth low iron glass but i dont want to do the whole tank in it so i was wondering if anyone has ever done just the front and sides with it, and if this is ok. Also would have have to change the thickness of the glass if i used low iron or would it be the same still?
I do believe it's possible. Don't know who has but I've read about it being done before.

Software Developer~ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 02:36 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can get the low iron glass from glasscages, I've personally have never used or seen it though.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 03:35 PM
Algae Grower

You can have a tank built with any combination of sides built with low iron glass. Thickness will be the same. Biggest concern is that it scratches easier.

I personally have not ever used low iron or had a tank with it, but something I have read from a couple pro tank builders is that unless the low iron tank is next to a regular build you will not be able to tell the difference. It may be the case, it may not be, but just wanted to share this with you so you could look into it before spending the money.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 04:26 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Most glass shops are going to refer to "low iron" as Starfire glass. The thickness is the same, should use 1/4" at min, but it has to be ordered like tempered glass,cut to size (bonus) and as stated before "can be scratched easier" but still not usually very visible after water is introduced, I havent had this issue tho. The joint constrution is what will dictate the panel type (visually) IMO. From the edge, standard glass will appear more green in color as the Starfire will be more pale blueish, refer to the way an ADA, CADE, or MR AQUA are built. If you are going to put a film/paint the rear pane then this color is even less important. I have built five different tanks and all of them were configured differently (mixed vs all alike glass). Many will tell you to use a tempered bottom. This is true on a rimmed tank as it is suspended and requires more strength to support the "typical" homeowners colored gravel substrate with plastic decorations, gold fish and guppies. A custom built, rimless tank, does not require this but does need to be placed on a mat, i.e. an ADA garden mat or off brand evilBay tank mat (closed cell neoprene, I use old waders from hunting...). I use the Marineland silicone to seal the corners. My only addition as though this isnt a lot already, if your local glass shop will do it, have them bevel the face pane, IMO this looks very sleek and doesnt affect the integrity.

I will be getting some glass this weekend and building one. I will post some pics in here after. It will be assembled at the glass shop as we are going to use heat fusion to construct it so prolly not much for a step by step (maybe tho ). I wish you luck and if you would like anymore assistance let me know, I'm more than willing.

Bump:
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I cool thanks for all the informations. The tank is going to be aprox 60gallons at 37 3/4 x 19 3/4 x 20. How would you suggest I do the edge work? I am thinking that doing a seamed edge would be the best? Also would it be cheaper for me to just have the glass bought or to just have a aquarium glass do the tank? If I end up doing the tank I am thinking I will put it together with a 1mm gap in between each pane and will be using GE window and door silicone. what do you think of this? I have also heard that I can use a rtv103 silicone and its stronger but I have no clue what to use between the two ?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 07:00 PM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
Flat polish the edges. Your arms will thank you. Further, there is actually more surface area with a flat polish than a seamed edge. The less space between panes, the better. More space means more movement of the silicone, more movement of the glass as it bows out.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 10:55 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I cool thanks for all the informations. The tank is going to be aprox 60gallons at 37 3/4 x 19 3/4 x 20. How would you suggest I do the edge work? I am thinking that doing a seamed edge would be the best? Also would it be cheaper for me to just have the glass bought or to just have a aquarium glass do the tank? If I end up doing the tank I am thinking I will put it together with a 1mm gap in between each pane and will be using GE window and door silicone. what do you think of this? I have also heard that I can use a rtv103 silicone and its stronger but I have no clue what to use between the two ?
Not sure that I completely understand what you are asking. You can buy all the pieces, usually just by walking in and asking for custom cut pieces. They will ask for sizes, quantities and finish. I get all my edges polished and the piece that will be used as the front I have them bevel the edge.

I would never us a silicone that is not fully intended for aquarium use i.e. the ones you mentioned. IME they are not intended for 24/7 water uses.

All of the tanks that I build I put a very thin layer, VERY THIN, layer of silicone on the edge for contact. I also have built jigs so that I can clamp and square that tank after glueing. The next morning I will seal all the inside and is a tooling tool to make all the seams disapear and uniform.

Let me know if this help you or if it doesnt.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile I Love Low Iron Glass!

Hi All,

I love low iron glass.

Certainly different types of glass, or for that matter other materials can be used to build an aquarium.

Contrary to an earlier post, low iron glass as far as handling, cutting and so forth is just like any other glass, and while it can be tempered as any float glass can be as long as it isn’t, it can be cut, sanded and polished as any other non-tempered glass.

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

If your Guru tells you otherwise and you are true believer that is okay I will not argue the point.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I pretty much limit what I say to things that anyone can easily verify from recognized references or by direct observation. If it is my opinion I say so.

Last edited by JoeRoun; 01-07-2015 at 12:47 AM. Reason: ,
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 12:47 AM
Algae Grower

As this is true many local glass shops aren't going to have it on hand.

~~~~```~~~``~~`~
-Amat Victoria Curam...Victory Loves Preparation
Good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile As A Well Known Cheapskate, People Know I Am Always Looking For The Deal

Hi,

Tis true some may not have it, I confess I got my lifetime supply because of a buyer going bankrupt and the contractor not wanting (or able) to be caught holding the glass.

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

If your Guru tells you otherwise and you are true believer that is okay I will not argue the point.

I pretty much limit what I say to things that anyone can easily verify from recognized references or by direct observation. If it is my opinion I say so.

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well joe you are one lucky person!!!! I am going to call every semi to local glass shop and see what each can do for me and prices and then I'm going to see which one is the best deal. After this which shouldn't take long I will compare the price to the price that glass cages gives me on the custom aquarium I asked them to do with low iron glass and see what sound like the best shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tank journal =).
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 04:12 AM
Algae Grower

For the dollar, dependant on weather is truly viewable from what sides, the front would be the most important to do Starfire. That's how most all of mine are done and likely how I will do my next, dependant on price. Good luck on your hunt. I'll be curious what prices you find and decide to go with.

-kyle

~~~~```~~~``~~`~
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank yea ill let u guys know what the prices end up being on some of the places. So far I got a response from one company who is way to expensive they want $960 without shipping for starphire glass and want 360 for the reg glass . I am positive I should be able to get the setup for around 450 to 500 but we will see
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Algae Grower

On average regular should be around $10 sf and Starfire about $18 +/- $5 sf.

~~~~```~~~``~~`~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode