filter media - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
filter media

I'm in the process of building a DIY canister filter and now am at the point of choosing the media. the canister will be filled with 100% biological media. right now it looks like im inbetween nylon pot scrubbers and sponges (maybe a combo?). anyway, suggestions are much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Not sure what you mean by "100% biological media" but sponges are very good for biological as well as mechanical filtration. They need to be cleaned once in a while. In a reasonably stocked planted tank you don't really need lots of additional surface for bacteria ("biological filtration") but if you want that for whatever reason you could also use lava rock, ceramic noodles, and such. Pot scrubbers can work, but it's a bit risky if you don't know if they are treated with any 'cides.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

by 100% biological media i mean no chemicals will be used like carbon. yes, i know the plants contain the beneficial bacteria which is a big reason for having a planted tank. a little more oomph from a filter cant hurt. plus the filter will also be acting as my diffuser. and for the cost of going DIY all the way, why not? im new to planted tanks so if you guys have any good ideas or opinions on the subject, let me know.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
nylon scubbers are know to have more bio area than a bio ball check out monsterfishkeepers.com for more info.

Craig
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks! it looks like i'll be ordering them from a guy on the site.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 05:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would love to see your design for the canister filter. For I want to make 1.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode