could this work? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
could this work?

I have a 30" light for my 29 gallon with 17 watts,I was wanting to add 3 GE pigtail lights to the exesting 17 watt floursent bulb.Is this safe to do and does anyone have anyone have a thread about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you know the bare basics of hooking up electric stuff you can wire as many fixtures in parallel as you want, as long as the total amperage draw is less than 15 amps, and you use a power cord that is made for 15 amps. Fifteen amps will be about 1800 watts of lighting.

You do face a big job cooling those lights. The fixture you start with will not be designed to handle the heat from the extra bulbs, so you will need a fan or fans to keep it cool enough.

Hoppy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

alright I should be fine then about the 15 amps I will only have 52 watts,Could I hook up a computer box fan to the lighting fixture?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to airborne_r6
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamc View Post
alright I should be fine then about the 15 amps I will only have 52 watts,Could I hook up a computer box fan to the lighting fixture?
The only issue here is voltage differences. The computer fans usually run on 12volt DC while your lights are 120volt AC. If you hook the fan up to the lights without a transformer to change and lower the voltage you will fry the fan motor for sure and potentially melt wires and start a fire.

[/off-rant]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

yeah I might just buy a indacansendent light and put to more sockets in there so I could have 60 watts of light and wouldnt have to worry about any electrical problems?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Don't even think about incandescent light bulbs. The CFL power saver bulbs will work, but not very efficiently, and making a good reflector for them is very difficult. Their inefficiency as aquarium lights means using more wattage than otherwise needed, and having even more need for a cooling fan. If you have a Radio Shack near you, they have a few cooling fans that can be used. For a 12 volt D.C. fan, also buy a variable 12 volt DC power supply - a transformer/rectifier assembly that lets you chose to run the fan at 12 volts, 10 volts or even lower. Using the lower voltage makes the fan run quiet.

Hoppy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

so I should just stick to my first plan and not get the indacasendent lights?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode