If I drilled holes on Rubbermaid drum... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
If I drilled holes on Rubbermaid drum...

what shall I use to fill it back up? Will silicone stick to the wall of a Rubbermaid drum?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (130/100%)
Yeah, it should. But depending on what size holes you're talking about, for something like 3/8" or bigger, I'd probably try to cut some larger squares out of some other plastic material, cover one side with silicone, then press them over the holes kinda like a patch, smearing any excess silicone down on both sides.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 08:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Install a bulkhead and cap it?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 09:07 PM
Mxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Silicone doesn't stick well to plastic and often tends to delaminate/peel-off after time. I'm not quite sure how you're intending to use it, but if you need a reliable seal then I'd suggest you find a glue specifically intended for such plastics. Epoxy might be a better bet, but I'd research it yourself first to see if that is the best option or if there are others which are better.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
I'm with Divine Winds, if you can use a bulkhead, do it. Then you still have the holes if you need them again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75g “Skull Island” | 5g Top Fin Engage | 3 gal vase

Zoo Med Small Tall Vivarium
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 09:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Pond supply store tape for leaks in pond liners or rubber washers washers nut and bolt.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 10:35 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (130/100%)
What kind of application are we talking about here? Is it just going to be a tub that holds water and no matter how it looks? Or a more sensitive application, possible dealing with some pressure or strong circulation?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think the intended use and the size of the holes matters quite a bit.

If they are small, then you could probably just make a plug from silicone.

If they are larger, it might be easiest to do the bulkhead, or try to make a patch/gasket sorta thing on the inside, relying on the pressure of the water to push the patch/gasket against the bucket.

I've used barge contact cement for a variety of things, and it seems to be pretty good at adhering to stuff that is difficult to glue, but I doubt it's aquarium safe...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It will depend some on how the container is used as well as the other points mentioned. Plastic has a lot of movement when it heats and cools. It also flexs a lot when you fill and empty things. Those two make make it real tough for any type adhesive to stick long term. I would look at a bulkhead type patch for the mechanical strength. Something with a flexible rubber type seal held in place with mechanical fasteners.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Thank you all for the response! What I plan to do is to hard plumb a water pump in the Rubbermaid drum. I cannot find a good way to attach the PVC pipe to the inside wall. So maybe drill some 1/8 holes and use cable ties to hole the pipe? Or I'm better off installing a bulkhead near the bottom and run the pipe outside? How a 3/4 inch bulkhead will hold on a curved wall like the Rubbermaid drum?

Thank you and Happy New Year!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Can you run the plumbing up out of the top?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
If this is a round Rubbermaid Brute, Google: Uniseals

Otherwise, try what Diana suggested, and leave the drum open-topped.

Bump: There's plenty of places to get them, but here's one:

http://alliedaqua.com/uniseals-affordable-bulkhead-alternative.html?gclid=CLuLhffz8MICFfPm7AoduloAjQ

Be VERY certain of measurements. They really do work. Very common on some Protein Skimmer bodies.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 06:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCory View Post
Or I'm better off installing a bulkhead near the bottom and run the pipe outside? How a 3/4 inch bulkhead will hold on a curved wall like the Rubbermaid drum?
Happy New Year!
IMHO you would be better off installing a bulkhead near the bottom and run the pipe on the outside. The 3/4 inch bulkhead will work fine on the rubbermaid drum. I've got a couple set up like this to hold my RO water and have never had a problem. Just be sure that you install the rubber gasket on the inside of the drum. Being that I need to heat my storage tank water I place the heater on the very bottom of the tub and drill the bulkhead hole a couple inches up so that the heater is never completely out of the water even if I drain the tub down to the bulkhead.

-
-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode