Water Change equipment? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Water Change equipment?

How do you do your water change? Any cool DIY system you could share with us? I'm planning on bettering the way I change my water, so anything interesting is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 08:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I siphon out into a bucket, nothing fancy.. to add water though. I have a 22 gal brute barrel equipped with a heater, digital therm., airstone and 375 gph submersible pump hooked up to a foot pedal with 10' of kink free 5/8" silicone tubing. And of course a 90° barb and tank clip on end.. water glides doen glass with bo substrate disruption and I can drink a beer while I do it!! hands free awesomeness
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie321 View Post
I siphon out into a bucket, nothing fancy.. to add water though. I have a 22 gal brute barrel equipped with a heater, digital therm., airstone and 375 gph submersible pump hooked up to a foot pedal with 10' of kink free 5/8" silicone tubing. And of course a 90° barb and tank clip on end.. water glides doen glass with bo substrate disruption and I can drink a beer while I do it!! hands free awesomeness
WE NEED TO SEE THIS THING!!!

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 09:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
I do almost the exact same thing with my 75. I siphon into 5 gal buckets and fill from a 20 gal brute with a heater via a utility pump. I'm thinking about upgrading the brute because I have to add 2 more 5 gallon buckets as it empties to it to get a 50% change. So, after Christmas I will probably get a 32 gal brute. Also thinking about getting 50 feet of 1/2 inch tubing to siphon the water outside into my garden without using the buckets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75g “Skull Island” | 5g Top Fin Engage | 3 gal vase

Zoo Med Small Tall Vivarium
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 09:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Ill get some pics up in a little bit..
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
For simple water changes - garden hose into the shower, garden hose connected to the kitchen sink faucet.

Gravel vac'ing - into a 5 gallon bucket.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 10:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

As promised, having issues withe pedal atm, it's been bypassed..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1419292605016.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	406778  

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1419292620037.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	406786  

post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 11:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
For ease of water changing, I added a PVC pipe out through the wall to use in the yard and a tap into the waterline before the softener. I have a plastic barrel to fill and let the water come to room temp for the next change.
So the process for changing is to drain the water to the pipe, turn on the refill pump and when the tank is full, open the tap to refill the reserve water barrel.

But the best item is perhaps the cheapest. A tube with built-in primer bulb to start the siphon is worth far more than the $5 -10 price. If you are careful and get the right one, it has a strainer built into the end and the primer bulb is large enough to start things really easy. I press fit a tube on the end if I need it longer.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 02:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
For ease of water changing, I added a PVC pipe out through the wall to use in the yard and a tap into the waterline before the softener. I have a plastic barrel to fill and let the water come to room temp for the next change.
So the process for changing is to drain the water to the pipe, turn on the refill pump and when the tank is full, open the tap to refill the reserve water barrel.

But the best item is perhaps the cheapest. A tube with built-in primer bulb to start the siphon is worth far more than the $5 -10 price. If you are careful and get the right one, it has a strainer built into the end and the primer bulb is large enough to start things really easy. I press fit a tube on the end if I need it longer.
Bet the grass grows very well around the output I like that idea!
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 02:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

My 180 in my living room with the sump in basement is semi automated. I have a pump going to septic directly from first stage of sump and I prep all my water in Rubbermaid garbages cans on wheels(their little dolly).I have a sen900A pump to fill from cans.
Hit switch for out , move barrel and plug in pump to fill and change 32g in 3 minutes,sometimes I drink beer also! It takes longer to fill the barrels then pump them into tank.I don't even shut off the sump while doing this.
All water is prepped to temp,out gassed with powerheads and airlines and treated with safe.
A simple ball valve on the fill pump(should be the most powerful one) and you can "tune" the two to run perfect pretty easy.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 03:02 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Here is what I use. It's 1/2" PVC with a shut off valve and a hose fitting.
It hangs over the edge of the tank and by attaching a hose to it I can siphon the water into a floor drain and then move the hose to the sink and refill. The length of the leg that goes into the tank is half the height of my 75 so I can do a 50% water change.

HEY! Your sleeves are wet.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast."-Anonymous
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 08:28 AM
Algae Grower

I take the water from the plumbing system under the tank.

I use two buckets. One is filled with fresh water and one is empty.

I have a spare submersible pump which I attach green Eheim hose to and place in the bucket of fresh water. This is connected to the water-in ball valve.

A hose is attached to the water-out ball valve which leads to the empty bucket.

I turn on the pump and open the ball valves. Slight adjustments are made to the ball valves as it drains faster than it pumps in.

When I'm done, I shut the ball valves, turn off the pump and disconnect the hoses. I use a small towel to grip the connectors with to soak up the drips before I pull the hose away.

The waste water gets poured onto the garden. Only the green bushy plants though, rather than fruit or flowering plants, as high nitrogen levels will hinder the fruiting/flowering and cause more green growth (according to Mother, anyway. Lol).

I don't think it could be any easier in my particular setup. The tank doesn't get disturbed. Plants stay where they are. Fish don't know any different.

Last edited by Dan110024; 12-23-2014 at 08:41 AM. Reason: a
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie321 View Post
As promised, having issues withe pedal atm, it's been bypassed..
Nice! Did you drill a hole in the wall of the barrel to get the power cord through?
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 02:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

No, just use a 6' extension cord when I need it.
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 07:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

For my 92 gallon I use a $10 food grade 55 gallon drum (had vinegar in it) on a $15 Harbor Freight dolly. Vacuum the gravel with a simple siphon vac. Then let it finish draining half the water from the tank. Roll the drum out back. Use a spare submersible utility pump with a garden hose to transfer to another barrel (For garden watering, we're in a severe drought). Roll empty into the kitchen. The removable faucet, hose thing reaches the bucket. Fill to the appropriate level with the right temperature tap water. Treat for chlorine and refill the tank with the submersible pump and a short garden hose that's rated for drinking water. Sunday the whole thing took about 45 minutes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode