DIY *Water Change Helper* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (23/100%)
DIY *Water Change Helper*

So I had this brainstorm tonight when I was doing a water change, I put the tank on hold and ran out to the garage. I grabbed a piece of plexi-glass, I believe 19" x 8.5" x .25", four metal coat hangers (I use these for everything, get them at work for free), needle-nose pliers, regular pliers, and wire cutters/dike's, drill and small drill(same size as wire from the coat hanger) and ran back inside. This is what I came up with....

Drill four small holes at every corner of the glass...

Cut the bottoms out of the coat hanger to have the longest straightest part..(any stiff wire will do, I like coat hangers because they are very tuff when bent up)

Start bending the wire to something like this....

Make all four, exact doesnt matter but very close.....

Install into holes like so...

Bend wire around glass then hook...

Cut off excess....

Should have something like this, (size depends on tank)

Hang in tank like so...

Pour water right on the plastic, dispersing the water to all sides lightly falling overboard not messing up substrate, plants and little fishies...

I might try drilling some small holes in a pattern in the middle, i dont know yet i will update if i change or if someone else has any ideas on revamping please let me know, 2 heads are better than one.

Made for a 55gal tank...

Scotty

"For England James?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Oh, that's clever. Good job.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Nice, simple idea! I read recently that someone uses a sheet of Saran Wrap laid over the substrate to protect it from the water "blast", but I like this a lot better.

Now, about that bucket.......shall we talk about Pythons?

Hoppy

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 01:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
Pythons!!! I will never go back after I purchased one. Life is soooo easy now. Water changes are a snap... and not one drop spilled, no buckets, no water spashes anywhere, and definately no plants or substrate being tossed around.

Nice idea, but you really need to look into one of those babies!!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I think it's a great idea even with the python. I still have some issues with the stream coming out to fast.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
that is brilliant and definitely falls into the category of "patent it now and sell it on tv!"

He who dares to teach must never cease to learn.

30 gallon tall, pressurized CO2...killer lights
50 gallon long, killer filtration, low tech otherwise
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (23/100%)
How does these so called pythons work.....How I do it is I fill the bucket in the tub with "prime", Then I let it sit for a while like an hour and I go do something else, like chase around my 17month old daughter. Thats another DIY thread that has nothing to do with fish tanks....lol. Lets just say it involves the refrigerator and her not getting into it. So back to the water change. I go grab my little white bucket from the tub and dump it in. So it is a long process. But I like it cuz the wife doesnt nag me cuz she thinks it takes forever to do it. If I cut the time in half then I would most definitely add much more work to my day. And I like playing with my tanks. But I got sick of my plants and gravel getting tossed around so I came up with this.

"For England James?"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
You can refer to the photos in my water change system for the parts, but essentially you connect a hose to a venturi connected to your faucet. I didn't like dealing with the hose so I modified mine to be more permanent.

The venturi action of the faucet running water creates suction at the other end of the hose, which you'll have in the aquarium. Water then is sucked along the hose and empties out into your sink. You can then turn off the water. Actually, you don't even need to have the water running really, if you're good at starting a siphon in general.

Once you've emptied the aquarium to the level you desire, add Prime for the entire volume of the aquarium, set water temperature at the faucet and turn the bottom of the venturi so that water then is redirected back out through the hose. Simply turn off the water when you've filled the tank.

It's very easy.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
|

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 02:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
I use 2 hoses. One I start a siphon and let it run into my flower beds or shower if it's cold. The other is attached to the bathroom sink. I fill on one side and empty on the other. I does the entire volume of the tank with a Prime dose before I turn on fill hose. In 10 min. I'm done!

Just keeping on keeping on....

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
genious design! does the waterline ever meet the plexiglass though? I got a pump with my UVS that was WAAY too powerful, but when I have the bucket on the floor 5 feet below the water line, the outflow from the tubing is nice & gentle and still a quick flow out into the tank controlled by a light switch. 90% hands-free! I love DIY!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode