Eclipse 3 ODNA light upgrade - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Eclipse 3 ODNA light upgrade

I searched every where on how to upgrade my Eclipse 3 hood to give out more light on the cheap..

I saw the retro fit kits but they were not cheap.

AHsupply kit was not too exspesive $45 plus shipping

then i found ODNA (over driven Normal Output)
https://www.plantedtank.net/articles/...utput-ODNO/18/

So I went to Home Depot and bought a Sylvania Ballast for $15 and some new fangled push connectors $2, and a three prong power plug $9.

Now out of my eclipse Hood I should be getting some were around 70 watts or a little less, on a 29 gal tank.

This is my first plant tank so 2 wpg should a great starting point.

Just need to find some good cheap 24" bulbs to put in, since the ones in now are pretty old and turning black on the ends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
Did you overdrive them like 4 times or something? The 24" T8s are 17W each NO, i.e. 34W total. ODNO x2 = 51W total. ODNO x 3 = 59W, etc.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The Ballast I used it made for 4 24" tubes.. so I am hoping double the output..

I got 17 watt bulbs.. one a phillips and one a sylvania 5,000k

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 05:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OD x2 does not equal double output. You've got 150% of yr original wattage, so 51W. Triple it and you'll have 175%.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Damn... so I need a different ballast?

So now I am at less then 2 WPG

If I want more light?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So in the DIY manner my plan is to add 60watt spiral bulb, it will end up being blocked off by the rest of the hood but I can regulate it to out put to a high noon situation for 2 hours before siesta and 2 after.

I will have to get pics when its all done.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can get a ballast for 6 or 8 24" T8s, but each time you OD, the less increase in output, and shorter bulb life. I wouldn't OD more than 3 x total for safety reasons as well. If you want more light, buy another filter and scrap the Eclipse hood. Eclipses are terrible for planted tanks. I once threw a shop light (tube style) in the space between the stock light space and the filter, but saw very minimal results.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

brohawk,

I am not using a Fluval 404 to do the filtering.

You don't think a CF Spiral or two mounted in the space between will do the job?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsane View Post
brohawk,

I am not using a Fluval 404 to do the filtering.

You don't think a CF Spiral or two mounted in the space between will do the job?
NOT using, or NOW using a Fluval? If you're using something other than the Eclipse stock filter, then good. 1) a canister won't outgas CO2 like the Eclipse filter will, and 2) you can now cut away the old filter area and mount lights over the back of the tank too--if you insist on using the plastic Eclipse cover as a hood.

The CF spirals will help, but they're not extremely efficient for planted tanks b/c their shape doesn't direct all the light down into the tank. Reflectors will help though, but I'm not sure how you'd be able to mount them in the middle area between the stock filter and stock lights, while still having room to access the tank for maintenance.

My biggest suggestion would be to cut out that filter w/ a razor blade. Eclipses are generally PITAs for planted tanks, b/c the lighting upgrades are forced to be in the front and middle of the tank (no way for even coverage unless you decide to cut out the stock filter). If it's gone, you now have the option of more even lighting across the tank. AHsupply PCs would then be a good option for you. Or you could look into T5s as well.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

sorry yeah I am not using the eclipse filter.. I am using a fluval 404 ..

I have been trying to keep the costs down..and I got the eclipse for free and it keeps the top of the tank clean and covered.

I do have a glass cover but I would need a different fixtured.. the ODNA route only cost me $15 where a decent light looked liked it was going to cost atleast $70.

I have already mounted the CF spiral in the hood in the middle.. when I open the front lid for access the bulb does not get in the way at all..

I am hoping that I am getting at least 2owatts from the spiral, to net atleast 2 watts per gallong with the ODNA.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OK, good. Then let's just see how growth goes for you w/ your current set up for a while. I found it real tough to get good growth out of vals/other background plants myself, as the side of the Eclipse filter blocked my middle area lights from hitting the back of the tank. If you find you're still needing more light later, or would like more even lighting front and back, your next option would be cutting out the old filter space. If you do go that route, it should be relatively easy to rig up another couple ODNO T8s in that space relatively cheaply. T8 bulbs and bulb holders are cheap and easy enough to find.

Btw, some here would disagree, but I never worry about using a glass top myself. The lights in my hood are left unprotected. Though I'm careful about splashing while doing maintenance of course, I've had no busted lamps or other problems.

Good luck.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sounds good hopefully I can get some pearling soon...

I should have just gotten some used lighting.. for cheap

I will keep adding to journal and see where it goes..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode