CO2 bubbles/min?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (23/100%)
CO2 bubbles/min??

I am a bit nervous about doing this cause I don't wanna kill all my fish. But tonight I mixed up a batch of the so called "DIY CO2". We I got it all plumbed in. Juice container to a 20oz'er with the inlet tube under water so I could count the bubbles, then off to my powerhead. I just wanna make sure that I am on the right track. It looked like I was just dumping the CO2 into the tank. So I grabbed the stop watch and counted the bubbles, I came up with 32 bubbles/min. That just sounds Like a lot for a 55 gal. I don't know.

Scotty

"For England James?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 01:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
No i have a 55 with diy co2, untill tomorrow when my tank and regulator comes anyways im getting 2 bubbles per second
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 01:21 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
You should be fine. I have 2-3 bubbles per second with 4 2L running right now and my co2 drop checker is a nice green color. I let it go 24 hours and haven't had a problem yet. I am sure others can give you more advice on this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportdriver View Post
I am a bit nervous about doing this cause I don't wanna kill all my fish. But tonight I mixed up a batch of the so called "DIY CO2". We I got it all plumbed in. Juice container to a 20oz'er with the inlet tube under water so I could count the bubbles, then off to my powerhead. I just wanna make sure that I am on the right track. It looked like I was just dumping the CO2 into the tank. So I grabbed the stop watch and counted the bubbles, I came up with 32 bubbles/min. That just sounds Like a lot for a 55 gal. I don't know.

Scotty
Nope, that's actually a little bit. Most people set their bubbles at 1-3 bubbles per second, and yours currently has 1 bubble per 2 seconds.

You'll know if you have too much CO2 if your fish start gasping at the surface.

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the input. I am so new to all of this. Gotta start somewhere. Thanks for all the tips. Much appreciated.

Scott

"For England James?"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh, if they do start gasping for air at the surface, do I do a major water change or what??

Scotty

"For England James?"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 01:42 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
If they start gasping at the surface, you can do a water change. Also increasing surface agitation, with an air stone etc, will help to gas off some CO2. You'd prob have to have a lot of DIY Co2 to bother the fish during the day, or a very low plant mass, or lights that are too low so the plants can't use the Co2. The time when you need to worry about too much Co2 being in the tank is at night.

If you're concerned with having too much Co2 at night, have an air stone of some sort on a timer to come on when the lights go off, and have it turn off about an hour before the lights come on. I do this because, when the lights are off, the plants cannot use the Co2 so it can build up in the tank. On a pressurized system, you could turn the Co2 off at night. But since we use DIY, we can't really turn it off.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine T View Post
If they start gasping at the surface, you can do a water change. Also increasing surface agitation, with an air stone etc, will help to gas off some CO2. You'd prob have to have a lot of DIY Co2 to bother the fish during the day, or a very low plant mass, or lights that are too low so the plants can't use the Co2. The time when you need to worry about too much Co2 being in the tank is at night.
I agree. Get as much surface tension on the surface as you can.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine T View Post
But since we use DIY, we can't really turn it off.
Technically, you could. If you connect a check valve somewhere in the tubing, then you can just disconnect that during night. But once you reconnect it, you'd have to wait for it to build up enough CO2 to work again.

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I made a bubble counter out of a small plastic bottle four days ago, 75 bubbles per minute. If you are realy worried look into a drop checker.

Im new to planted tanks all so. I spend hours reading about them, and check the lfs every week hoping to find a new plant. As soon as my oscar dies Ill start a 55 gal. Just kidding, he's very healty.

Brion
29 gal journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

55 gal low tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode