Cheap Lighting Solutions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cheap Lighting Solutions

I have been searching for inexpensive lighting solutions for my tanks, and have found that if you put the word aquarium in front of something, it pushes the price up significantly. I found a local hydroponics store that sells "Sunblaster" T5 plant lights. They come in 24, 36, and 48 inch lengths, range from $30 to $45 and come with a T5 bulb and slimline fixture with mini ballast and electric cord. You can piggyback several of them together with provided plug connectors. The only problem is that they can't sit on a surface; they need to be hung. However, one day while walking through a big box hardware store, I saw a white plastic eavstrough (10 foot length for $8) and thought hmmmm.. The fixture is attached to the trough with provided clips and some thin bolts. Hanging clips are also provided in case you wanted to hang the fixture. The end caps are $4 a piece, which is ridiculous, but you only need end caps if you have a tank in a room where you might have to stare into the end of the fixture and burn out your eyes. The bulbs are very high output, and plants love them. Here is the result:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Light fixture inside.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	404370  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Light fixture top.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	404378  

Why is the "next" tank, always the most interesting?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode