CO2 diffuser (for DIY yeast bottle) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 diffuser (for DIY yeast bottle)

A small Tupperware filled with CO2 and with a hole at 1" from the top.

Many large holes at the bottom to allow some water circulation.

That "diffuser" (or reactor ?) allows the CO2 to be in contact with the water for a long time and under pressure.

You can see the CO2 in the top of the Tupperware.

Do you think it can create to much CO2 in a 20 gallons tank? It's a planted tank with no fish....just a test!

What are the sign of to much CO2?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 03:05 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
There's no such thing as too much CO2 if there's no livestock in the tank.

As for the diffuser, are there any co2 bubbles coming out the holes into the tank? Seems like it's just going to build up one big bubble and eventually escape from the holes in the container, without actually dissolving.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Look into getting a elite mini filter with very little easy modifications you can turn it into one of the best co2 disfussers it works fantastic and there pretty cheap if you want info of how I modified it shoot me a pm and I'll walk you threw it

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
As for the diffuser, are there any co2 bubbles coming out the holes into the tank? Seems like it's just going to build up one big bubble and eventually escape from the holes in the container, without actually dissolving.
There is very small holes at 3/4" from the top in the Tupperware, and bigger at the bottom. When it's full of CO2, there is small bubbles escaping. Very simple! I assume most of the exchange CO2-water is done in the Tupperware (5"x5").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnighttide102 View Post
Look into getting a elite mini filter with very little easy modifications you can turn it into one of the best co2 disfussers it works fantastic and there pretty cheap if you want info of how I modified it shoot me a pm and I'll walk you threw it
Cool...thanks! Do you have a picture?

For my others tanks, I am using powerhead and put the CO2 tube in the output. I didn't have a powerhead for my plant tank, that's why I thought about that diffuser....I can also use as cigarette filter
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 10:22 PM
Planted Tanker

Any bubbles that escape and pop at the surface are essentially wasted. To be quite honest, I dont see how that gives you any dissolution at all. It is essentially collecting in one big bubble that eventually makes it's way out in the form of smaller ones. Perhaps Im just missing something though...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

There is one big bubble 5" x 5" x 3/4" of compress CO2 (because of the depth where is the diffuser) permanently in contact with moving water and ALSO small CO2 bubbles getting out and also in contact. Less waste in my book then small bubbles only.

Dissolution between a gas and a liquid depend on the surface in contact, the gas pressure, the temperature of both and the time in contact.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 11:44 PM
Planted Tanker

But there is no pressure. No turbulence. Nothing to dissolve the CO2. It just builds up until it can escape through the holes in the container. You'd be better off running it into a power head, or using some kind of standard diffuser, ideally placed under some current.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Put air in a ballon and put at 16" under water...is the pressure in the ballon higher? YES ...samething here for CO2 here. The CO2 is not at the same pressure then the air pressure. Why do you say no turbulence? Did you see the entire setup? Same thing as air over water movement...there is air-water exchange. Where do you think I took the idea ?
An example http://tinyurl.com/kat3wv9
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 01:12 AM
Planted Tanker

Yes there is pressure, but it's pressure against the top of the container, not co2 vs water. Bubble housing diffusers are some of the worst on the market. Test the PH before and after, or get a drop checker, and I believe you will find this particular way is not very efficient. Kudos for trying something different though, and for sharing.

Last edited by burr740; 12-14-2014 at 03:36 PM. Reason: .
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 03:30 PM
Algae Grower

Dustin's Fistanks on YouTube uses a similar passive CO2 system in his grow out tanks, seems to work well for him!

20L hex | 114L Fluval Rimless | 20 L QT+riparium
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainPool View Post
Dustin's Fistanks on YouTube uses a similar passive CO2 system in his grow out tanks, seems to work well for him!
Are you are talking about the airstone at the bottom of the tank into the upside down pitcher/tupperware all the way at the top? It is similar but he has one key thing that PierreG does not, and that is the airstone.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
What you have is a bell type diffuser. It will probably work but as stated there are other methods that are more efficient. Especially with DIY co2

Try it out. I got good results in a 10 gallon with the bubble ladder..

Good job repurposing things too!

Never show anyone your true potential. If you do, they will always expect it.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodameaon View Post
Are you are talking about the airstone at the bottom of the tank into the upside down pitcher/tupperware all the way at the top? It is similar but he has one key thing that PierreG does not, and that is the airstone.
interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uxl_Df0Yk0

my idea was not so bad...just need a small adjustment in the input or output ....the goal is to leave the CO2 as long as possible in contact with water.

I don't used an air stone...but a cigarette filter in the black plastic holder, it make finer CO2 bubble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIURyN3gaO4

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode